Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 28, 2011, 08:30 AM
    AC unit relay not picking
    Hi guys, a visitor from another forum (electrical) needs some help, please.

My niece's outdoor Goodman A/C is not coming on.

When I first looked at it, I found that if I manually operated the relay at the A/C unit, the compressor and fan activated.

So, I had my nephew replace the relay, no joy. He and his friend also replaced the inside thermostat no joy.

I went back yesterday and verified that the gas furnace's (Lennox) low voltage transformer was putting out voltage. I got 28 V at the output of the transformer.

I also jumped the feed and return wires (red/white) at the A/C unit and verified that there were no breaks in the cable with an Ohm meter.

I reconnected the leads that fed the solenoid and verified voltage at the solenoid pins.

I also pulled the fuse on the furnace's circuit and verified that it was not blown.

No joy!

I can still manually operate the solenoid and get the A/C to come on.

What I suspect, at this point anyway, is that the solenoid at the A/C is not getting a ground signal to pick the relay's solenoid.

I, however do not know where this ground shot is supposed to come from. Does the control board on the furnace control the trigger signal or is it controlled by the thermostat. (I suspect the control board.). Is there any way I can force a pick sequence by setting a jumper to ground from the control board at the furnace to verify a board failure?

May 30, 2011, 01:14 PM

I need to go over to my niece's home this evening. I'll see if I can get pics of the units and schematics.

May 31, 2011, 02:27 PM

Can you please take a look at this item and give me some direction?

Jun 2, 2011, 09:24 AM

If this question is unanswerable in this forum, can you please tell me why.

Jun 6, 2011, 06:55 PM

Hello - Is anybody here?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the purpose of switching relay in ac unit [ 0 Answers ]

I have a old Chrysler airtemp furnace a/c unit model 4213-04 with a digital thermostat. When I turned on the a/c I got nothing. I'm getting 1.2 volts on secondary at transformer and less at limit switch. Is the black box (Honeywell r8226a 1057 1) a switching relay and could this be why the a/c does...

Relay switch outside my unit [ 2 Answers ]

The fan on my unit won't turn on ouside my mobile home. We found out that if we hold the relay switch steady the fan will come on but if I go inside my house and turn it on just won't turn on please help.

My unit runs but no heat defrost relay keeps clicking [ 0 Answers ]

My unit runs but no heat and the defrost relay keeps clicking what is my problem Thanks Jimmie

Buzzing relay with Trane Cebtarl Air unit [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old Trane Central Air unit (model BLU0682L942A) which recently went out on us. Nothing worked … no AC … no heat … no fan. I replaced the transformer and then the relay (S87R-1079-1). I believe everything is correctly wired. I don't have a wiring diagram for the unit. I tested the...

Buzzing Defrost Relay on Trane Unit [ 1 Answers ]

My Trane unit, VR724E100A0 has been giving be trouble. The fan wouldn't hardly run and I was hearing a faint buzzing noise. It would act like it was trying to run, then slow down, speed up, repeat & finally stop. Turning by hand didn't help. I installed a new run capicator for fan and the fan...

View more questions Search