Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    claire.cali Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2011, 07:52 AM
    I stole over 5000 from my job what's going to happen now
    I'm 21 live in winnipeg mb I stole from my job due to desprate circumstances. Its my first offence, I stole 9500$. The police just contacted me and asked me to meet with them this Tuesday. I don't know what to do. What punishments could I be facing, what should I say to the police when they ask me questions... I don't know what to do
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 28, 2011, 07:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by claire.cali View Post
    what should i say to the police when they ask me questions... i dont know what to do
    Hello c:

You should say NOTHING to the cops. You shouldn't even go. Hire a lawyer instead.

excon

May 28, 2011, 08:13 AM
    The detective that talked to me told me that if I couldn't meet with him on Tuesday he would sent cops to my house or to my work place to come and get me. I don't want to miss the appointment and then have that happen because I haven't told may people what I did.
    Uber Member

May 28, 2011, 08:20 AM

Hello c:

The FIRST thing you're going to have to do, is decide WHO is on your side. If you think it's the cops, DO what they said. If you think it's ME, DO what I said.

You're going to be arrested in ANY case. They're going to do it when and/or IF you go in, or they'll do it where ever they find you. If you want to AVOID being put in cuffs, HIRE A LAWYER.

Uhhh, you're still working there?? That's strange.

excon

May 28, 2011, 08:24 AM
    No I got a new job. So your saying that if I even go there they will arrest me right away? So I should hire a lawyer and have them come with me instead? Or just have them go in my place
    Uber Member

May 28, 2011, 08:29 AM
    so i should hire a lawyer and have them come with me instead? or just have them go in my place
    Hello again, c:

You should hire a lawyer and DO what he says. There won't be any meetings with the cops. The lawyer will have you turn yourself in. You'll be booked, fingerprints taken and be given a bail. You should NOT have to go to jail... ANY other way, you'll spend a couple days in the pokey.

excon

May 28, 2011, 08:34 AM
    So they will tell me to go to the police and you don't think that I would do jail time? Like the truth is I would do anything but jail time probation community service anything I just really don't want to go to jail. How high is you had to guess would bail be for this situation? Or do you have any clue?
    Uber Member

May 28, 2011, 08:46 AM

Hello again, c:

I don't KNOW what will happen... Maybe the owner of your company is married to the chief of police... Maybe they're really pissed off at you. Maybe the cop is a decent guy. Maybe the cop is an a$$. You LOST control of your life once you decided to steal. People who DON'T have your interests at heart NOW control your life. All you can do, is DO the best you can for yourself at this point.

IF you turn yourself in, you will probably be released with NO bail. If they have to find you, you'll probably have to spend money to get out of jail. Once you're out, you'll have a trial. If you're convicted, or you plead guilty, you'll be sentenced..

If you appear sympathetic to the court, like being a first offender, they'll PROBABLY give you probation, fines, community service, and REQUIRE you to pay back the money... OR, if the judge isn't a very nice fellow, he could make you go to prison.

excon

May 28, 2011, 09:02 AM
    You have been so helpful. Now I guess I need to find a good lawyer at a good price... that's not easy.
    BillNi Posts: 25, Reputation: -7

May 28, 2011, 06:01 PM
    You should elaborate on what happened. How did you get caught stealing $9500? That's heck load of money to steal. Are you already charged with an offence? (theft under / theft over?)

If you are already charged, then you MUST hire a lawyer. A lawyer may seem expensive but down the line you will feel glad you hired one. A lawyer will help you get the charges withdrawn or worst case, probation which will still get you a criminal record. I'm not saying jail isn't possible, but it's very unlikely if you have a good criminal defense lawyer on your side to negotiate with the prosecutor. And the fact this is your first offence also helps.

If your not charged yet, I wouldn't be in a hurry to hire a lawyer. Remember, you don't have to speak with the police-- you have the right to remain silent. Don't say a thing- don't answer any questions. And if he decides to charge you, THEN call a lawyer.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 28, 2011, 06:10 PM

Listen to excon. You need to have an attorney BEFORE you talk to the police. You can't go into the police and not answer any questions without the likelihood of being arrested. You can't go to the police and talk to them without an attorney present. So get yourself one and then keep the appointment.

May 28, 2011, 06:26 PM
    You can't go to the police and talk to them without an attorney present. So get yourself one and then keep the appointment.
    Who said you CAN'T go to the police without an attorney present? Just make sure to say "I want to invoke my right to remain silent". BE BRAVE and say those magic words. Keep saying it if he continues to ask you questions. The truth is whether the lawyer is with you or not, they'll still charge you IF they already have evidence against you. They CAN'T charge you because you refuse to answer any questions. If anything, that will help them CHARGE you. A lawyer being present BEFORE being charged isn't going to help your situation. It's just a waste of money.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 28, 2011, 06:58 PM

Understand police lie, if they had enough evidence right now to arrest you, they would not be "asking" you to come in, they would show up at your door with handcuffs.

They want to put pressure, and lie to you move about a lot of evidence they don't really have to get you to confess.

My guess if convicted you will do prison time, but then that is a guess.

So don't do anything that will help put you there.

May 28, 2011, 07:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BillNi View Post
    You can't go to the police and talk to them without an attorney present. So get yourself one and then keep the appointment.
    Who said you CAN'T go to the police without an attorney present? Just make sure to say "I want to invoke my right to remain silent". BE BRAVE and say those magic words. Keep saying it if he continues to ask you questions. The truth is whether the lawyer is with you or not, they'll still charge you IF they already have evidence against you. They CAN'T charge you because you refuse to answer any questions. If anything, that will help them CHARGE you. A lawyer being present BEFORE being charged isn't going to help your situation. It's just a waste of money.
    Ok, I shouldn't have said, can't, I should have said shouldn't. Because if you do, you will most likely say something incriminating. That's why you need an attorney, to protect you from yourself. It would NOT be a waste of money.

We take pride in the quality of the advice we give here and you are not giving quality advice. You have already shown a disdain for legal and ethical behavior.

May 28, 2011, 07:38 PM
    Because if you do, you will most likely say something incriminating. That's why you need an attorney, to protect you from yourself. It would NOT be a waste of money.
    How could he possibly say something incriminating if he invokes his right to remain silent?

May 28, 2011, 07:42 PM
    Understand police lie, if they had enough evidence right now to arrest you, they would not be "asking" you to come in, they would show up at your door with handcuffs.

They want to put pressure, and lie to you move about alot of evidence they don't really have to get you to confess.

My guess if convicted you will do prison time, but then that is a guess.

This is true but don't fall for these tactics. Cops will do whatever it takes to get you to talk. They will lie. They can say they will only charge you with theft under instead of over... or say they have your fingerprints on the table. Which could all be false. Whatever they say, repeat the magic words.
    Uber Member

May 28, 2011, 08:06 PM

Hello B:

I'm just not sure WHY you think she should meet with them, and say NOTHING. Even IF she could keep her mouth shut, what's that going to accomplish?

excon

May 28, 2011, 08:17 PM
    Hello E:

It is going to accomplish saving hell load of money from hiring a lawyer, considering the fact he is not charged yet.

Bill
    Uber Member

May 28, 2011, 09:02 PM
    It is going to accomplish saving hell load of money from hiring a lawyer, considering the fact he is not charged yet.
    Hello again, Bill:

Wouldn't staying home and mowing the lawn accomplish the same thing?

excon

May 29, 2011, 04:19 AM
    Hello E:

Bill
    Maybe you missed this:
    the detective that talked to me told me that if i couldnt meet with him on tuesday he would sent cops to my house or to my work place to come and get me.
    This suggests to me that they have enough to charge the OP, though it could be intimidation. But you just don't seem to get it. If she goes in and says nothing, they will hold her for hours, probably arrest her. So it makes no sense to do so. If she goes in she should have an attorney to protect her interests. End of story.

Again, you are giving bad advice and that will not be tolerated here.

P.S. Learn to properly use the quoting feature.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's going to happen [ 3 Answers ]

Well on Saturday I got in a car with a new friend because he was my ride back home but when I got in the car and we were leaving he told me he was drunk and couldn't see straight and I was buzzed enough so I couldn't drive so I asked him to drop me off at my girlfriends house.it was 11 at night and...

Cought tag swapping while on probation for retail theft, what's going to happen [ 1 Answers ]

OK so I am 21 years old and about 8 months ago I went to court for shopplifting at walmart... now to be honest I was scarred and I haven't taken something without paying for it since. My aunt is a sucker for saving money and taught me how to tag swap. I thought the store would look down on it but I...

I got a warning 6 months ago.but did it again.what is going to happen? [ 3 Answers ]

Heyy... :(six months ago I stole from fortinos and I was given a warning and a trespassing paper to sign... I went back a week ago.. got caught stealing about 90 bucks of stuff called a lawyer and was told they were not allowed to listen to me calling him even though they were... I also ended up...

What is going to happen if I don't go to court hearing? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Civil Harassment Restraining Order and I have to go for court hearing and I would like to know what can happen if I do not go to court.I don't want to see the other person close to me. Is it going to be on my record and what will be the worst if I don't go? Thank you everybody!

Never going to happen [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I am 20 going on 21 and I have been sexualy active for 3 years. I have never been able to reach an orgasm with a man and it is getting really really frusterating. I can get there by myself and sex feels really good but it never progresses into an orgasm. I stay calm and try to relax but nothing...

View more questions Search