Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mhaertzen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2007, 10:33 AM
    Sheetrock Bathroom Walls
    I am finishing a bathroom in my basesment. The tub surround has a rough edge I need to put the sheetrock against. How do I tie these two items together?
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Jan 28, 2007, 09:03 PM
    You want to over lap the sheetrock over that lip. Cut or rasp the back side of the sheetrock so it doesn't bulge out over the lip.
    miguelito3218 Posts: 60, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 05:05 PM
    You should probably just rest the sheetrock on top of that lip, so that any water that gets behind your tile doesn't wick up and wet the sheet rock. You probably shouldn't be installing sheetrock in a bathtub area, unless its dens-shield, and even then if the water wicks up behind your tile, it can still deterioate.
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Feb 1, 2007, 08:16 AM
    If the tub has a shower, sheetrock is no longer up to code unless you are using an applied waterproofing like Redguard. Otherwise, you must use a water-impervious material like cement backer board. Hardibacker, sold at Home Depot and others, is the easiest to work with. There should also be a vapor barrier behind the backer board, something like six mil poly sheeting. The sheeting overlaps the tub flange and the board clears the flange by about a quarter inch. This joint is then caulked with 100% silicone. After tiling, the tile-tub joint is also sealed with silicone.
    Nwptsailor Posts: 56, Reputation: 4

Feb 3, 2007, 08:30 AM
    You do not tie them together. After careful fitting , fasten the rock into the stud about six inches away from the fixture edge.
    Sheetrock only needs fastening every sixteen inches or so. A well fitted board and fixture will work fine.
    Don't sink the screw heads below the paper surface. Adjust your technique / tool to slightly dimple the finish sheetrock paper.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finishing Basement - 8' or 9' Sheetrock? [ 4 Answers ]

Am taking the plunge and finishing my basement, have just started. You may see me on this board with many questions to come... First is the size of drywall to buy. My ceiling is 9' tall to the joists with at least 1' of this holding pipes, electrical, duct work, etc. Have definitely decided on...

Wonderboard or Sheetrock? [ 12 Answers ]

This is not REALLY a plumbing question, but the experts here might be able to help. My tile man has installed "waterproof" sheetrock (green) on the walls that he is about to tile in a renovated bathroom. I heard that for a bathroom, one should use WonderBoard instead, because of its superior...

Painting bathroom shower fieldstone walls [ 2 Answers ]

I am restoring a bathroom in a historic fieldstone home. The interior bathroom walls are fieldstone. Most of which have already been painted with off-white latex. Some stones are unpainted. Water from the shower head will the be hitting the fieldstone walls in the corner shower. I have prepared the...

Sheetrock [ 3 Answers ]

What is 'fire tape'? Can 'green board' be used on ceilings? What are the various coatings on nails and screws and what are their uses?

New basement bathroom floors/walls [ 5 Answers ]

Hi All, I am looking to build a bathroom in our basement. The room will be positioned right next to the sewer line which exits just above the concrete floor. We have a drain pipe in place for a toilet and have to begin framing the floor and walls. The toilet will have to be 9" off the concrete...

View more questions Search