Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ryousuf Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2011, 08:27 PM
    First floor ceiling leak beneath the master tub on second floor
    Hi,

My twin infants accidentally poured water on the tiled floor of our master bathroom while taking shower. It was not rainy outside but when I went downstairs, I saw water leaking from the ceiling of the first floor. How can I get it fixed?
    rojo1 Posts: 59, Reputation: 6

May 27, 2011, 01:50 AM
    HI,I'm not clear on the problem. Was this a one time event, or do you still have a leak? Also
    Was the tile floor a ceramic tile with grout or a nylon type with glue? The grout floor should have
    Prevented most of the water from penetrating anyway I'm awaiting your response.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 27, 2011, 03:42 AM
    Get a 5-6" tube of clear or white silicone caulk. It won't last until the next time after being opened, so you don't need more. Cut a tiny slice off the tip and apply along the bottom of the tub after scrubbing the area with alcohol and waiting for it to dry. Working your way forward makes a neater bead than dragging it. You could also redo any caulk around the top edge of the tub. Cut a little more off the tip for that. It's a lot of work getting all the old out and getting it clean.

Let the ceiling dry and leave it alone, unless there's a stain, then paint. If a crack, scrape down, apply joint compound, sand, prime, and paint.

OR... you could just do nothing. Water does find a way into floors when spilled like that, and it's not really damaging unless it happens a lot.
    ryousuf Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2011, 02:31 PM
    Comment on rojo1's post
    Hi,

It was a one time event. Floor tiles are ceramic with grout but when kids played and accidentally poured water somehow it penetrated to the first floor ceiling and leaked.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 27, 2011, 04:43 PM

If you are right about this leak it is already starting to dry out. Once its thoroughly dry 7-10 days you should be able to patch and bad areas with joint compound, seal/prime with Kilz and then repaint.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My upstairs tub is leaking beneath the floor [ 1 Answers ]

There is water leaking from my upstairs tub, coming out in the ceiling downstairs. It is not the drain line, as it only leaks after shower has been on a few minutes. The leak is coming out downstairs at a spot at the back of the upstairs tub... I suspect the water is leaking from the shower line...

Tile leak from 3rd floor through 2nd floor ceiling (bath) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi All: We renovated our third floor bathroom which included stripping the floor down and installing tiles (1" squares within 1' blocks). After our 3rd floor tenant takes long showers we get some leakage through her floor and thusly through our ceiling (which we now have partially open to have...

Rain leak on floor of concrete slab, no plumbing beneath [ 1 Answers ]

My concrete slab has no plumbing under it. It's an addition to the house (outside breezway turned into a room - between garage and house). House was built in 1940's in Michigan. We have a leak on the floor by the doorwall, only when it rains. Cannot see where the water is coming in. The carpet...

1st floor ceiling leak below 2nd floor shower [ 2 Answers ]

Our ceiling has developed a swelling or bubble in the ceiling and when touched-it literally fell apart and created a hole. It is dry to the touch but happens to be right in line with our 2nd floor master bedroom shower where the plumbing probably comes down. The shower has a plastic floor with a...

Toilet leak ,3rd floor to 2nd floor ceiling. [ 1 Answers ]

Was told that I would have to build a 6 inch platform to place toilet high enough to get adaquate flow to prevent this. Is this valid or does anyone else have a better plan. Floors,pipes , toilet all new install to existing. 3 years.

View more questions Search