Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 26, 2011, 02:43 PM
    Lease laws in Illinois regarding boat slips
    I am in Illinos and belong to a HOA that rents boat slips to owners. Are there laws like the residential tenat/landlord laws which would govern what the HOA can and can not do. What if a renter defaults, do they have to be evicted or can their slip just be taken/seized?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 26, 2011, 03:13 PM

I found a couple of sample lease forms that seem to indicate that the slip owner can repossess the slip with notice as spelled out in the lease.

May 26, 2011, 04:02 PM

Thanks Scott but I am looking for laws which would dictate things like a necessity for a quit notice or eviction requirements.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 26, 2011, 04:59 PM

Believe it falls under the commercial lease section, since it is not for a residence.

If it does, with a notice they may just take possession of the slip

May 26, 2011, 05:13 PM

Thanks Chuck, I'll search in that direction
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 26, 2011, 05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Beleive it falls under the commercial lease section, since it is not for a residence.
    It appears that way. I don't see any specific Illinois statute concerning the rental of boat slips. HOAs are, apparently governed by the Common Interest Community Association Act. But your HOA, or any other owner of a boat harbor, would apparently be governed by provisions relating to commercial properties.

May 26, 2011, 05:41 PM

CICA is quite new and our HOA is just barely starting to follow it, kind of waiting for the darn senators to stop making changes to it before we follow. I am picturing this as more like renting a parking spot or vacant land, there is no commercial aspect to these leases. In a state that mandates we recognize "Good Roads Day" I was sure there would be laws governing leases

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Illinois Labor Laws? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm curious how I or my husband could report the company that he works for. He's working 82 hours this week because his boss is on vacation. He's not allowed to leave because he's the only one in the store aside from the guy that works part time loading in the back. So he works 12 hour days- 6 days...

Laws on vehicle repossession in Illinois. [ 3 Answers ]

My cousin had her car repossessed April 18th of 2007 (she is going through a divorce and is having financial problems of a result. The bank still hasn't sent a notice through the mail as to when the car will be resold (which from what I understand the bank legally has to do that, along with the...

Abandoning laws in Illinois [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend has raised my son since he was an infant. My son's biological father has chosen to not take part in his life. The weird part of this situation is that my son's father's parents pay his child support every month. I live in the state of Illinois and was wondering if my son's father is...

Adverse Possession laws in Illinois [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I just recently bought some property across from our home in Illinois. My neighbors want to try to claim squatters rights against it. It is 1/2 acre that is next to their land. They have been mowing it for several years, along with storing hay and a couple horse trailers on it...

Illinois Labor Laws [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have kind of a silly question, but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. I work for a Union in the city of Chicago. Our rights and laws are very spicific. My wife (on the other hand) works at a local hospital. I can't seem to find the law that tells us about breaks during an 8 hour...

View more questions Search