Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sharper11 Posts: 369, Reputation: 102

May 26, 2011, 09:52 AM
    3 Year old Pug, New Home, Snapped when being pet
    I just recently adopted a 3 year Pug from a foster care. When we were at the foster parents house, "Bailey" was coming up to my wife and I, letting us pet him submitting etc. etc.

After picking him up, we drove home (1 hour drive). I tried to put the leash on his harness and he snapped at me. I waited, talk nicely to him, and he eventually let me pet him, then I put the leash on.

::: Enter house:::
    Our 4 year old Saluki/mix (male), was interested in him. He sniffed, he barked, he was a bit overwhelming. Anyway, Bailey was letting us pet him for a little while, but quickly pulled back after a while and would snap at our hands if we put them to close. (this was about 3 or 4 times throughout the night before we gave up)

He was with the Foster family for 3 weeks, they have 2 pugs and a chow.
    Before then, all I know is that he was with an Old Woman who couldn't take care of him.

It has been less than 24 hours, but I am concerned mostly because we have a niece who is 5, and plan on having a child within the next few years.

Is this normal? Because of Stress? Dominance? --
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 26, 2011, 11:00 AM

I would be concerned about taking in a "new" dog which hadn't met the "old" dog. I've done it, but it's sometimes not the best way.

Could be anything - change of living situation, moving twice in three weeks, a nasty disposition, too much pressure being put on him when he's frightened.

What would I do? No one is going to want to hear this but I wouldn't take a chance when there's a child involved. Sad, but that's what I would do and I think you're asking my opinion.

May 26, 2011, 11:16 AM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    My wife and I have set a deadline. If by Monday he hasn't showed any signs of improving, we're going to ask the rescue if they would take him back. (they will most likely keep the adoption fee, but it's still getting used for something good). I just don't know what to do.
    Uber Member

May 26, 2011, 11:19 AM

I know. These situations are frustrating and upsetting. Unfortunately, you don't know where the dog has been and what it's been through. I have taken in a lot of rescue dogs over the years (I've always had 2 or 3 dogs at a time) and I had one who was lovely with my family but disliked and distrusted everyone else. She always had to be watched carefully, separated from company. She disliked children and I could never, ever trust her around them. I had no children so it wasn't a daily problem.

I feel sorry for you and I feel sorry for the dog.

I just wouldn't take the chance when children are involved.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2011, 05:33 PM

He is a rescue dog. Rescue dogs have issues. Most of those issues can be worked with within time and they are like a brand new dog.

You've only had him for 24 hours (less then).. Don't expect him to be perfect. His defense is to snap and act aggressive. If he wanted to bite you, he would have done so within the first couple of hours of your initial meet. He is bluffing because he can get away with it. You can correct this and correct pretty quick. Spray him in the face with vinegar water... about 75% water and the rest vinegar. When you spray him, say with a firm voice, NO. See if that changes anything. Since he is an older dog, see what he knows. Ask him to sit.. Make him work for you. Everything in your home is an earned right, nothing comes free.

24hrs is not enough time for this dog to take a deep breath and chill out. The real trial period is at least 2 weeks.. After 2 weeks and he is still snappy and a jerk, then take him back.. You then have probable reason to not want to keep him.

Next time you adopt a dog, it would be a wise choice to have your other dog meet him first. Just because you like the dog, doesn't mean that your dog will...

May 27, 2011, 04:08 AM
    Comment on Lucky098's post
    Very good point with having the dogs meet. (They seem to be doing OK together today). Last night was a little easier. I took my time with Bailey and yes, Treats are only rewards for doing something positive. Tried to get him to sit or give paw.. not too much. BUT, I used little bits of the treat to keep him near me, I sat with him and pet him. I think he is getting it. We'll see where he is over the weekend.
    Uber Member

May 27, 2011, 06:01 AM

I think I started by saying I would be concerned if the dogs didn't meet ahead of time.

I'm glad he's starting to calm down a little.

I would still keep him far away from the child for the time being. Do you know if he had any contact with children?

Of course, I'm a liability investigator so I see this from another angle.

Fingers crossed it works out.

May 27, 2011, 07:22 AM
    He has had contact with other children (at the fosters home). The foster parent said there were no incidents. I agree though, he should be "in-check" when around kids, and not around kids at the moment. He warmed up to us overnight. This morning he didn't seem as agitated. ---- and thanks for the feedback Judy and Lucky.

May 31, 2011, 06:53 AM
    Happy to say the Bailey settled in nicely. He and Jojo have been playing and his "snapping" has gone away. We invited our niece and family over to meet him and, now that he has someone to run to when scared, he seems to be less "aggravated".

On another note, I let him out to use the bathroom in the morning this weekend. Each morning, he pees, but then wants to come in the house... and proceeds to poop on the floor :/ I give him plenty of time outside. I may need to walk him instead. . Not sure why he does it.

Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2011, 08:57 PM

He might be pooing in the house due to the change in his life. Just keep your ground with your house rules and he will catch on quickly. It is unknown how many times this dog was placed in a home, he's nervous. Nervous dogs do strange things such as pooping in the home. Just watch him to make sure he does go outside and praise him for it. When you can't watch him, keep him in a crate.. Crates keep good dogs good.

I'm glad he is settling into your family. Just lots of friendly interactions and good things that constantly happen will bring him around quickly :)
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2011, 06:50 AM

This sounds like very good news for everyone in the family! Lucky dog to have owners who care.

Jun 1, 2011, 08:14 AM
    Thanks Judy. It's ashame to think someone didn't want him, he's pretty awesome and lovable

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

California Pet Deposit Refund after 6 years in single family home rental [ 1 Answers ]

I lived in rental home 6 years and paid first, security and pet deposit. During the exit walk through the landlord he noticed a pet smell that stayed with the carpets even though we cleaned them. Can he keep the deposit towards the carpets even after 6 years?

Probation home vist and pet policy [ 1 Answers ]

Well you may think of your cousin as a "dog" but the dog section is not the proper place to get an answer. I have moved this to criminal law, where you may get more answers. What is the cousin on Probation for ? Was it a dog or animal crime ?

9 year old pug [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 9 year old pug with diabetes. She takes vetsulin 2x daily--9 units in the morning and 2 units in the evening. She didn't wake up at her usual 5:30 am this morning and when she did wake up, she is very lethargic and has lost control of her balance. She will not eat. My husband gave her...

View more questions Search