Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mudstonemagic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2007, 08:16 AM
    Real estate under contract - problem
    Hello everyone - I hope someone can help me here. My problem is this: My husband and I made an offer on a triple-wide, it was accepted by the buyer. We went to get the loan and were going to get an 80/20 conventional because we don't have much to put down. Everything was great until the appraisal came back and they said that they couldn't do an 80/20 conventional because it was a manufactured home. The loan company wants to roll it into a FHA loan that will have more fees and we will then have pmi or mi until the loan reaches 78%. I told them when we asked for a preapproval that it was a triplewide. Had I know before hand that we would have to pay some many fees and the loan amount would be bigger, I would not have made the offer in the first place. Can I get out of the real estate contract without getting sued?

Thanks,
    Mudstonemagic.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2007, 08:57 AM
    Do you have a written contract for purchase? If so, check for a contingency clause regarding mortgage approval. I am assuming that the mortgage company sent you a letter rejecting you based upon the appraisal. If not, you need to ask them to put their rejection in writing and to include their alternate suggestion on how they can handle it.

If there is nothing in writing, it becomes problematic. Do you have a real estate agent? What kind of purchase agreement do you have? Verbal? Please give more detail. Depending on your answer, there is a legal expert here named LisaB4657 who knows more about legal issues than I do and might be able to help you.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jan 27, 2007, 09:10 AM
    Ruby's right. Check your contract for a financing contingency clause. This is where it says that the agreement is conditioned on you getting financing for the purchase. As long as you have one of those clauses you should be able to get out of the deal and get back all of your money after you show the seller a letter from the lender that you don't qualify for the loan.

If you don't have a financing contingency in your contract then you may have a problem getting out of the deal without losing money. In that case I suggest that you speak to an attorney. Many attorneys offer a free consultation during which they can tell you about your options.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Real Estate [ 4 Answers ]

Good day all, I need your assistance. I am a 70 year old man whose wife has just passed away 2 weeks ago. I am in need of information regarding the house we lived in for over 22 years. (also married 22 years) I would like to know if I have some type of legal rights to this house. I have...

Real Estate Contract signed under duress [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I were considering purchasing a home but decided against it due to discovering some problems with the wastewater disposal system. A bit of a legal "dogfight" ensued after we tried to get released from the contract but the matter has finally been resolved. As a piece of sidebar...

Real Estate [ 3 Answers ]

Does any one here know about real estate. I'm wondering which aspect of the whole career is best as in buying a house fixing it up and selling or going through companies. Or if they are two totally different things in all. Just any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Real Estate [ 7 Answers ]

We Are Selling Our Home Which Has Two Separate Properties. The People Who Want To Buy Both Properties Put In A Contract. Now They Wish To Divide To Two Contracts One For Each Property. Please Note That Both Properties Are Separately Addressed And Separately Deeded. If We Agree To This Are They...

Real Estate [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: How do I find out whether a real estate broker is licensed?

View more questions Search