Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2011, 11:07 AM
    Gun control by fiat?
    Who needs a congress? King Obama is reportedly working on gun control "under the radar" by way of executive order or regulatory means.

WaPo did a story on White House gun control czar Steve Crowley which had this little tidbit that just almost escaped notice.

According to the article, Jim and Sarah Brady visited Capital Hill on March 30, the 30th anniversary of the assassination attempt on Ronald Reagan; to push for a ban on "large magazines."

The couple reportedly were meeting with press secretary, Jay Carney, when, according to Sarah Brady, the President came in. She said the President told her he wanted to talk about gun control and "fill us in that it was very much on his agenda."

She went on to say Obama told her, "I just want you to know that we are working on it. We have to go through a few processes, but under the radar."
    I'm sure that is "under the radar" in the most transparent way possible.

The Huffpo article lends credence to the idea that he is looking for ways to bypass congress on gun control.

Faced with a Congress hostile to even slight restrictions of Second Amendment rights, the Obama administration is exploring potential changes to gun laws that can be secured strictly through executive action, administration officials say.
    He doesn't know the meaning of the word hostile yet.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2011, 11:31 AM

Don't knock it . How could the people of California feel safe with all those court ordered releasees if there weren't strict gun control in the State ?

Crowley wrote a book called 'Regulation and Public Interests: The Possibility of Good Regulatory Government '. In it he made the case for the regulatory bureaucracy being the best government because the agencies, because of their autonomy ,are able to resist the demands of special interests and regulate on behalf of the public.. and I guess the lawmakers as the direct representatives of the electorate are not. It would make sense then that the imperial executive would hire this unaccountable czar for the purpose described... to by pass the Constitutional role of the legislature.
    Of course he fails to recognize the influence of special interests he likes ,like the Brady Campaign.He also forgets the revolving door between government and industry. Oh yes ,his precious regulatory agencies are not immune.
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2011, 02:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Crowley wrote a book called 'Regulation and Public Interests: The Possibility of Good Regulatory Government '.
    Somehow I just can't find the connection he's trying to make there.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

May 25, 2011, 03:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Somehow I just can't find the connection he's trying to make there.

I have not read the book but my guess would be that he is saying not every government decision should be subject to a public, 'show of hands'.

In modern democratic theory direct participation by the public is considered impractical. In other words, the public cannot vote away a government decision because the majority of citizens take a dislike to it at the time. There are other ways the public can display there displeasure.

The other aspect is the problem of the general public being 'knowledgeable', when it comes to complex legislation. For example, the taxation legislation is implemented by the relevant agencies without fear or favour ( in theory ). Unlike politicians, a bureaucrat is not influenced by public opinion. If a particular part of tax legislation is unpopular then it will probably go ahead anyway. Direct democracy is an interesting idea, but would be largely unworkable in a complex society.

I would say Crowley is pointing out what he sees as the obvious; good government is effective government. I would need to read his book, but this is my guess.

Tut
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 25, 2011, 04:00 PM

This will be the straw breaking Obama's back if he tries to push through things against the 2nd amendment. Its sad that our government think the great unwashed can't think for themselves except when it comes to casting a vote.

The 2nd amendment is the only one protecting the rest of the amendments. And if they think that keeping guns from people that shouldn't have them is a good idea then they should start with the ATF for allowing sales of guns to Mexican drug lords.

True gun control is having the ability to hit your target the first time!!
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

May 25, 2011, 04:04 PM

I don't even HAVE a gun.

But I'll go get SEVERAL if they're thinking they can take away my second amendment rights.

What are they trying to do? Make it so that ONLY criminals have guns?

May 25, 2011, 04:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    This will be the straw breaking Obama's back if he tries to push through things against the 2nd amendment. Its sad that our government think the great unwashed can't think for themselves except when it comes to casting a vote.

The 2nd amendment is the only one protecting the rest of the amendments. And if they think that keeping guns from people that shouldnt have them is a good idea then they should start with the ATF for allowing sales of guns to Mexican drug lords.

True gun control is having the ability to hit your target the first time !!!

My guess is that this will have nothing to do with any new legislation. Rather it will use legislation that already exists.

For example, tax legislation would already exist to stop people from performing professional services and not claim it is part of their income. Some people would call this 'cash in hand'. No doubt the taxation agencies have a certain amount of resources to make sure people are discouraged when it comes to this practice. It is impractical, in terms of allocations of resources to police this on the ground. Policing this on the ground would probably stop it, but far too expensive. The cheaper alternative is to wait for income statements to be filed.

It would be easy to see that in order to achieve a political end the government could allocate its resources to stop this practice almost before it begins. One could also see how this could work with gun control. You use the existing legislation and fund that particular aspect of the legislation you think would be most effective in limiting the amount of guns available. Perhaps we could call it, 'the hurdles you have to jump in order to own a gun factor".

As I said before this is my guess as to what they have in mind.

Tut
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 25, 2011, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TUT317 View Post
    My guess is that this will have nothing to do with any new legislation. Rather it will use legislation that already exists.

For example, tax legislation would already exist to stop people from performing professional services and not claim it is part of their income. Some people would call this 'cash in hand'. No doubt the taxation agencies have a certain amount of resources to make sure people are discouraged when it comes to this practice. It is impractical, in terms of allocations of resources to police this on the ground. Policing this on the ground would probably stop it, but far too expensive. The cheaper alternative is to wait for income statements to be filed.

It would be easy to see that in order to achieve a political end the government could allocate its resources to stop this practice almost before it begins. One could also see how this could work with gun control. You use the existing legislation and fund that particular aspect of the legislation you think would be most effective in limiting the amount of guns available. Perhaps we could call it, 'the hurdles you have to jump in order to own a gun factor".

As I said before this is my guess as to what they have in mind.

Tut
    I believe what they have in mind is a chipping away of the lawful ownership of a gun. Starting with magazine capacity. Then working deeper. Like a gun lottery for ownership. They want to make it so hard to get the ordinary citizen doesn't want to hassle with it yet the criminals can buy one down the block with no restrictions.

They are already considering taxation on ammo to limit its supply.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2011, 02:32 AM
    I have not read the book but my guess would be that he is saying not every government decision should be subject to a public, 'show of hands'.

In modern democratic theory direct participation by the public is considered impractical. In other words, the public cannot vote away a government decision because the majority of citizens take a dislike to it at the time. There are other ways the public can display there displeasure.

The other aspect is the problem of the general public being 'knowledgeable', when it comes to complex legislation. For example, the taxation legislation is implemented by the relevant agencies without fear or favour ( in theory ). Unlike politicians, a bureaucrat is not influenced by public opinion. If a particular part of tax legislation is unpopular then it will probably go ahead anyway. Direct democracy is an interesting idea, but would be largely unworkable in a complex society.

I would say Crowley is pointing out what he sees as the obvious; good government is effective government. I would need to read his book, but this is my guess.

Tut
    He's saying the permanent unelected and unaccountable bureaucrat knows what's best for the unwashed unsophisticated uneducated rubes of the electorate . Heck ;why even have elections ? Why have a Constitution ? Just hand power over to oligarchs and their appointed bureaucracy .Much more efficient!! Makes the trains run on time and all that .
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2011, 05:07 AM
    In modern democratic theory direct participation by the public is considered impractical.
    I guess I should have engaged the sarcasm font, I wasn't inviting an explanation of what he meant. If that's what "modern democratic theory" believes, I'd consider it about as revolutionary as the 8-track tape.

The other aspect is the problem of the general public being 'knowledgeable', when it comes to complex legislation.
    This is why I loathe progressives.

May 26, 2011, 03:16 PM
    I guess I should have engaged the sarcasm font, I wasn't inviting an explanation of what he meant. If that's what "modern democratic theory" believes, I'd consider it about as revolutionary as the 8-track tape.

This is why I loathe progressives.
    Hi Speech,

Sorry, I though you were asking for an explanation.

I don't think it is a matter of being 'progressive', that's just the way representative government works in practical terms. I don't see it working any other way given the complex nature of society. Unless, you can come up with a better way to make it more democratic.

Tut
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2011, 07:04 AM
    I don't think it is a matter of being 'progressive'
    No, I was just explaining why I think progressives are toxic for this country. Tom described their attitude toward the rest of us, we are to them "unwashed unsophisticated uneducated rubes." That pi$$es me off, not to mention it couldn't be further from the truth.

that's just the way representative government works in practical terms. I don't see it working any other way given the complex nature of society. Unless, you can come up with a better way to make it more democratic.
    The U.S. is not a true democracy, and giving more power to unelected, unaccountable bureaucrats and further diminishing the power of the people I find unacceptable.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 27, 2011, 07:20 AM
    we are to them "unwashed unsophisticated uneducated rubes." That pi$$es me off, not to mention it couldn't be further from the truth.
    Hello Steve:

To you, we are the champagne sipping, over educated elite, pushing a secular homosexual agenda WITH pinkish overtones.

What's new?

excon
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2011, 08:31 AM

Nah, I don't picture you that way. In fact I've told you I think I'd enjoy having a beer summit with you. I picture most progressives this way:

excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 27, 2011, 03:19 PM

Hello again, Steve:

That guy looks exactly like me.

excon
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2011, 08:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, Steve:

excon
    Lol, I knew it.

May 28, 2011, 01:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, Steve:

excon
    Actually, I though he looks like Yo Samity Sam.

Only one way to find out.

Ex, say, "Someones a gunna do that high diving act and that someone is a gunna be you rabbit"
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2011, 04:20 PM
    Actually, I though he looks like Yo Samity Sam.

Only one way to find out.

Ex, say, "Someones a gunna do that high diving act and that someone is a gunna be you rabbit"
    Tut I think he looks like that bloke who rode a camel across Australia, Ken Tuckey

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gun Control [ 29 Answers ]

Hello: The killer we've been talking about was subdued AFTER he emptied his magazine and before he could insert another. He was using 30 round clips. THOSE clips were illegal under the Assault Weapons Ban that EXPIRED under Bush and was not reinstated. If it HAD been reinstated, the killer...

Gun control and socialized medicine in Europe [ 1 Answers ]

Are any countries in Europe that do not have either gun control laws or socialized medicine? I know they're very "europe-y" things to do, but I don't know if the EU requires them, or if a bunch of countries just decided to institute them. (I know the exact polices vary a bit, so I'm guessing it's...

Weird Food Combinations aka Gun Control LOL [ 257 Answers ]

Okay, this may not be a combo exactly but I salt my cantelope melon. . Oh, now here is one, and my hubby likes peanut butter and iceberg lettuce sandwiches! :p Fried Mars bars?? :eek:

Weird Drinks - a/k/a Weird Food - a/k/a Gun Control [ 12 Answers ]

Okay, got to get this one started to go along with our Weird Dinners. Anyone ever had a Monkey Brain? How about a Duck Fart?

View more questions Search