Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    candiapple Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2011, 10:41 AM
    Copy of legal documents
    Anytime I sign a document, Do I have the right to a copy of the document I sign??
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2011, 10:52 AM

Yes. Only exception I can think of is if you are signing as an agent for your employer or something like that, in which case they would have a right to a copy of the document.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 24, 2011, 11:12 AM

It's a matter of common courtesy to make a copy for you. There are, of course, possible circumstances under which a copier is not immediately available.

If necessary, tell the person that you will sign only if they promise to give you a copy.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 24, 2011, 11:38 AM
    Whether you are required by law to receive a copy of a document you signed depends on the type of document and the laws in the state where you are signing. For example, you are required by federal law to be given copies of all documents you sign when taking out a mortgage loan. But under NJ law a landlord is not required to give you a copy of a lease that you have signed.

Any time that you have to sign something you should make it a condition that you receive a copy of the document immediately after you've signed it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dead husband's legal documents [ 6 Answers ]

My husband died on March 3. My daughter took our marriage certificate, his death certificate and his will. I have asked her for them but she won't give them to me. How can I get them?

Received copy of court documents that I have being sued for debt that was settled. [ 1 Answers ]

Help, In 2003, I paid of my debt to a collection agency and received documentation from the debt collection company. I just received a copy of court papers stating that I'm being sued by RJM Aquisitons LCC. What do I do? Do I call the Law Firm and asked them for documentation or do I have to...

Legal Documents info. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I have a question about legal documents. My husband is about to get re-involved in a custoday battle with his daughter's mother. He needs to file a motion for contempt but, in his parenting plan it states he needs to go to mediation before he can file any motions. Now, he already...

Signing legal documents [ 8 Answers ]

To have information prepared for an attorney to file court actions to recover my property I ask the question. I gave my son $25,000.00 for down payment on a new home that he sold with a profit to to avoid credit hunters. Another home was purchased using his wife's name. She financed the...

View more questions Search