Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

May 23, 2011, 09:49 AM
    Heat Pump going into defrost prematurely
    I have a 20 year old 2 ton York E1FH heat pump with TXV on outdoor unit, but no TXV on indoor coil.

The unit is prematurely entering defrost when in heat mode. Depending on the outdoor temp it is entering defrost at least every 15 minutes.

I have 3 service ports two that leave the unit 3/8 liquid line, 5/8 vapor; and a third that taps just above the accumulator. I was told to use the third for suction.

With the following conditions of outdoor temp 74°F, indoor temp 73°F and RH 31%, here is what I am seeing in each mode:

In cooling mode: suction 65 PSIG w/temp 69°F, 5/8 vapor line 140 PSIG w/temp 45°F, 3/8 liquid line 145 PSIG w/temp 67°F. Delta across the indoor coil is 18°F, precisely what is was when the unit was checked out to be okay 3 years ago under the same conditions. The delta across my coil looks good but I was told the high side pressure seems too low.

In heating mode things are not so good: suction 60 PSIG and quickly plummets to 15 PSIG w/temp steady 67°F; 5/8 vapor line 150 PSIG w/temp 90°F and quickly rises to 250 PSIG 110°F. Delta across the indoor coil is near zero. I notice frost quickly building up on the TXV and beyond into the outdoor coil. The liquid line sensor is clipped at this point, so it is no surprise the unit thinks a defrost is needed. Compressor amps appear to be a little low by 1-3 AMPS when I can get a steady reading.

There is no appreciable temp drop across my filter dryer, so I think there is no block there.

My reversing valve, which actuates for cooling mode, appears to be sweating on the correct pipes but I am not sure how to check it in heat mode.

I have added 1 lb of charge thinking I had a leak, but nothing has changed.

When the unit has not run for some time my PSIG matches the outdoor temp. I was told this means I have few if any non-condensable.

I am suspect of the TXV and have removed and cleaned the sensing bulb to no avail.

I am learning as I go and could use some ideas. Could my TXV be bad? If so, how to diagnose it further? Could my reversing valve be bad at rest? If so, how to diagnose it further? Could I have a blockage somewhere else? Is it possible I am still low on charge?

Thanks for any guidance.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

May 24, 2011, 07:32 AM
    Replace defrost timer and or defrost timer sensor. If old defrost timer has a setting switch or jumpers set the new one the same as the old. Then contact a HVAC company so they can come out and remove the excess refrigerant you installed unless you have your own reclaimer machine. NOTE: it is against federal law to discharge refrigerant it must be reclaimed. It seems you have created your own problem since the defrost circuit was causing your problem to start with. It is also possible you have noncondensibles in the refrigerant system.
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

May 24, 2011, 08:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    Replace defrost timer and or defrost timer sensor. If old defrost timer has a setting switch or jumpers set the new one the same as the old. Then contact a HVAC company so they can come out and remove the excess refrigerant you installed unless you have your own reclaimer machine. NOTE: it is against federal law to discharge refrigerant it must be reclaimed. It seems you have created your own problem since the defrost circuit was causing your problem to start with. It is also possible you have noncondensibles in the refrigerant system.
    Thanks hvac.

Yes, I may be a little overcharged but I did not mention I had a bad high side schrader I replaced that did leak some while I was debugging that issue. Plus all the gauge hook ups I have probably lost some. But I am really wondering about the 15 PSIG suction.

The liquid line sensor is new. I even checked the sensor with an ice bath and it follows proper resistance curve. The timer is embedded in the YorkGuard Control module, and is no longer made. There is an upgrade but that would be would be introducing an upgraded module to our unknowns. The algorithm is time plus liquid line sensor, and I can't seem to get an answer as to which prioritizes.

Is it still possible I have noncondensibles when at rest the PSIG matches outdoor temp?

The system read 15 PSIG suction before I added any refrigerant. I have gotten some strange readings from suction. Early on when I was checking out the system it read 40 PSIG, and is now 15. I did not change anything or touch anything, but something changed on its own. That number seems very low to me. What do you think?

I also checked something yesterday. When in head mode I checked temps with my laser thermometer across the reversing valve and everything was reading very just about to the same hot temp temp. this does not seem right to me as the compressor discharge should be routing to one direction and suction looping. In other words there should be two sets of temps: two pipes too hot to touch and two about ambient. But I did not see that. I plan to strap some temp sensors to it to get better readings. Could a bad reversing valve cause what we are seeing? FYI the reversing valve is only energized in cooling mode. Energizing might hold it in place whereas at rest it maybe free to flop about if worn out.

In relation to that I am still wondering about my outdoor coil's TXV. If it is bad and closing most of the way, could it cause back pressure all the way back through the indoor cool, and back to the reversing valve causing it to open? Remember I have no TXV inside, so it should be a straight shot, albeit a long one.

Thanks for all your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I manualy defrost my heat pump [ 3 Answers ]

I did it last year but I don't remember what I did. I remember making a jumper wire and jumping 2 terminals together with a jumper wire on the circuit board on the outside unit. Can anyone help me with this... Thanks

Heat Pump blows 5amp fuse when switching between defrost & back to heat. Them Heat work [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Carrier Heat Pump System. It’s about 5 years old and has functioned OK until this Christmas Eve. One problem is the condensing unit is not kicking back on after it goes into defrost mode. I found a 5AMP fuse blown in the attic unit and once replaced it functioned. At least for a day or two...

Heat Pump Defrost Mode [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old, 4 ton Ruud heat pump. I'm in VA where right now it is between 20 and 40 degrees most days. Is it unusual for the HP to go into defrost mode rather frequently? Is this a sign of a needed service call? Heating is fine, just wondering if the HP is telling me something and I am...

Heat Pump Defrost Cycle [ 1 Answers ]

My new Payne heat pump condenser unit has frost around the coils. The defrost cycle does not seem to be coming on. Could it be a control wiring problem? And, is the defrost thermostat considered a outdoor thermostat?

Heat Pump defrost cycle [ 1 Answers ]

Hopefully my question isn't redundant. Earlier this year I changed my thermostat from a manual to a programmable thermostat. The cooling and heating aspects seem to work fine but I have noticed that during the defrost cycle the aux heat doesn't appear to come on since I changed the thermostat. ...

View more questions Search