Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jackie-in-flatrock Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2011, 08:11 AM
    I want to install an outside water line between my house and garage.
    An outside water line between house and garage - kind of like a hose, slightly under the ground so I don't have to fight with long lengths of hose all the time. I'm in Michigan, so I will need to be able to blow out the hose with compressed air in the fall to avoid freeze, and I'll need to attach to a standard outside faucet, and allow at least one area for a 'Y' fitting for an additional hose. I am unsure which product to use for the line and fittings. I can get the black plastic tubing used for water lines at my big box store, but I'm still not sure what type of fittings I should use - Any suggestions or advice?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 22, 2011, 02:25 PM

Hi there...

You don't use "black" tubing. Your choice of materials is Copper, PVC, Galvanized pipe.

PVC will be least expensive and very easy for you to do the installation yourself. Just bury the pipe about 16" below the ground to prevent accidental damage. . Support riser against the house in several places so you don't break the line when you pull on the hose. Also, don't forget to install dedicated shut-off valve. You can use PVC valve that glues in. As far as size goes: use at least 3/4", schedule 40 PVC pipe.

Copper and Gal-Pipe are solid metal pipes but require bit of skill and tools to install.

Hope that helps. Back to you. Milo
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 22, 2011, 02:39 PM

Well, you will never blow out all the water with compressed air. I suggest you put a valve box at a low point and install a waste valve.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 22, 2011, 07:15 PM
    I'd use PEX. It is easy to install, will take SOME freezing and is inexpensive.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 23, 2011, 06:26 PM

I also think pex would be the cheapest easiest solution.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How far from property line can I install water line [ 5 Answers ]

I am going to hook up to the county water system in the near future. The place I have picked out to put the water meter is near my neightbors property line. Is there any regulation concerning how far from property line the meter and line should be?

What do I need to do to install the ground wire for my house on my copper water line? [ 1 Answers ]

Please help! I am a 27yr old new home owner of 2 years living in Alabama and my water pipes froze the other day, so after the whole hair dryer thaw out time, thinking I'd done enough research, I went and bought foam pipe insulation and installed it. When I was down there I was covering the part...

Best way to install water line over 2,000 ft from meter to house [ 2 Answers ]

I have a house that the meter is over 2,000 feet away. What would be the safest, most durable, and economical pipe to use?

Running drain line from garage to house with height differnce. [ 3 Answers ]

I am running a return line from my garage to the house. I have two questions. My returns in the house is in the craw space under the house. I am running the line from the garage (50Ft ) to the house. There is an elevation difference of 3 feet to connnect to the house. Since I will be running this...

How to install clean out on main line 20' from house [ 3 Answers ]

Need to install a clean out on my main sewer line on an older house... the main runs under a patio so the closest I can get to the house is about 20' to 30'

View more questions Search