Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 22, 2011, 04:57 AM
    Wood floor in bathroom
    I'm asking this under plumbing for you whole bath installing plumbers, thanks.
    I'm planning to put in an engineered wood floor in a bathroom for my father who doesn't want tile (I ripped out his wall to wall after the toilet overflowed). What should I do to the critical edge right in front of the shower base? The plywood subfloor is in good shape.
    Also, unlike the rest of the house flooring which will run across the joists, should I run the floor in the bath parallel to the shower?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 22, 2011, 05:30 AM

By engineered, if you mean the click flooring, I wouldn't advise using it in a wet location. Water tends to get in between and the material swells. I used this material in my dining room and found this out whilst keeping it clean. Too much water does a lot of damage, so a damp mop works better but if you are putting this in a bathroom, your money may be wasted.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 22, 2011, 06:37 AM
    Hi tickle! Thanks.
    I see 3 types of wood floors: solid, engineered (real wood top; composites below), and laminate (totally fake). The last 2 are both click types but are either glued on the tongue and groove, put down with a mastic, or nailed on the tongue. I want 1/2" engineered for the rest of the 1200 sq' house. Is that what you put in?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 22, 2011, 12:47 PM

I bought laminate 'click together', take-it-up-when you go type. No glue, no nails, no mastic. I still know for sure that you can never soak whatever that type of flooring is, joy.

I wasn't happy so purchased a new type of flooring that looks like bambo and lays down like the old fashioned vinyl flooring. Don't remember the name.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 22, 2011, 02:16 PM

In my experience: wood looks good in bathroom but is not really suitable for bathroom installations. These engineered wood floors will also warp when exposed to moisture. Let us know what you decided to do. Good luck. Milo
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 22, 2011, 07:22 PM
    Hey JP. Just installed a gluedown Bamboo floor in a bath where carpet was removed. Worked out great. Do not use Laminate, too thin, paper based and will expand too much. Run the wood across the narrow width, makes the room look bigger. Use a good grade of silicone along the shower pan/floor seam. HOWEVER, for a full bath with floors that get wet, tile is the best material. Get dried in the tub and use a polypropylene area rug.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pour cement floor in an existing wood floor building? [ 0 Answers ]

I have an existing temporary type building (720 sq ft) with a wood floor. The wood floor keeps rotting out. I would like to pour a cement slab to replace all the floor joists and floor. It sits on top of gravel and appears to get very damp (no standing water). I really do not want to raise the...

Can I raise bathroom floor to move my toilet that sits in a slab floor? [ 3 Answers ]

Moving my toilet appx 3 feet. It is currently a slab foundation and I don't want to have to drill through the concrete, so can I elevate the floor, move my toilet and extend the piping into the old toilet drain in the slab?

Installing self leveling concrete floor in master bathroom on the third floor [ 0 Answers ]

Want to remove old tile & install a self leveling concrete floor as the main flooring in our master bathroom on the third floor in our home. Can you put a concrete floor on the third floor/level of a home? Under the old tile is plywood... What do I need to do to the sub floor to prepare it for...

The outlets on the master room bathroom and the bathroom on the 2nd floor has no pwr [ 1 Answers ]

The outlets on the master room bathroom and the bathroom on the 2nd floor has no pwr. This was verified with the use of a light indicator probes by checking the power on the outlets screws. The breakers were checked the same way, however there is power going to the breakers. One outlet that has the...

Wood floor finishes [ 2 Answers ]

If my bare wood floor absorbs any water spills immediately into it (it doesn't even bead for a second), what are some options for treating it? It's just one room. Thanks for any tips.

View more questions Search