Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plucid Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2004, 05:02 PM
    Porting games between Platforms
    Hi guys.

Ive recently purchased a fairly powerful PC which Ive used for quite a few games the last 2 months, running at the highest settings most games allow.

My friend recently purchased a PS2, which Ive been playing quite a bit as well.

My question is regarding the methods used to port games between these 2 platforms.

The reason I ask is that there seems to be a lot of variation in quality. Recently playing 'Need For Speed Underground' on both revealed a fairly similar if not slightly better graphics situation in the cityscape on the PC, whilst the PS2 clearly had far better resolution in the car customization area.

I found the Medal of Honor-Pacific Assault graphics shocking on the PS2 but Allied Assault awesome on the PC.

Just wondering how all this comes about.

Thanks heaps for any answers.

Paul
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2005, 11:21 PM
    Well for one thing the ps2 is made specifically for gaming, your computer for well bunches more to handle. But the ps2 basically does one thing, plays games. Oh and moh allied assault, kick game :D but all of the moh line are very polished
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2005, 05:58 AM
    One thing to consider is that a PS2 or any other game console has a set specification. You know that it can do this, that and the other at speeds X, Y & Z. PC's on the other hand are not built by one company and therefore the spec changes from PC to PC. You can say that the car should be rendered at such and such, because the chances are that a lot of PC's won't be able to hack this.

That's my thoughts on the subject anyway :)
    phr0ze Posts: 106, Reputation: 3

Mar 18, 2005, 11:48 PM
    PC's have far greater resolution (clarity) than a game system. This can be good and bad. Its good because you can see more detail, but its bad because you can see more flaws. In all though, when they prot the game to another system they look at the systems capabilities and try to match the game as best as they can. Some games that were initially designed for playstation may only have source graphics that are at a resolution only as high as the system needs it. So when they move it to PC they don't bother recreating the images with a higher resolution, so you end up with about the same quality. Another factor is PC hardware. Like others have said Gamesystems are designed to run games and they do it more efficiently than a PC. Knowing this, it usually takes more CPU/graphics power on the PC side to run the same game. Developers may even have better source files but because they want the games to run on the greatest number of PC's possible, they make compromises. And finally the technology is different. Esp with Playstations. Some routines may need to be rewritten. Some of these rewrite might take advantage of advanced code the PC has, and some of them may loose features because the PC doesn't support it. There are tons of other factors involved, but this is the gist of it.
    plucid2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2009, 03:48 AM
    Plucid

I'm trying to find you.

Where are you?

Please contact me.

Plucid2

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PC games [ 10 Answers ]

Does anyone out there know of any PC games that play similar to that of Myst, Riven, MystIII? I love the "flow" of these games but can not find any others like them. Also, I need suggestions on any adventure PC games that are good... thanks

Pc Games [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I know that if you buy PS2 games and you live in Europe they won't work, because Europe is PAL Colour and USA is NTSC. But is it the same with PC Games?

No more games. [ 71 Answers ]

Hello All, For the past 2 years I have been in a long distance relationship with a lovely lady whom I adored. At times our relationship was really tough despite all the wonderful moments that we had had togther. (It was tough because obviously we didn't get to see each other as much as we would...

Imac for 3d games [ 4 Answers ]

I am planning to purchase a new iMac Core 2 Duo,2,16 GHz, 20" LCD,2GB SDRAM of memory,250 GB serial ATA drive and a superdrive and a video card ATI Radeon x 1600 128 mb VRAM Do you believe that it is a sufficiently powerful machine to play the newest 3D games? Would it be helpful if I purchased...

Games [ 10 Answers ]

My computer at my job has a block on games and music sites. But I could find only one site I could play games on. It's called 2000greetings.com. Are there any other sites like this one?

View more questions Search