Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sylviawill Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2011, 01:00 PM
    Received an inheritance of 28,000 after filling for chapter 13, we did not report it,
    Received an inheritance of $28,000, after filling chapter 13. We did not disclose to our lawyer, and he has now found out and wants to drop us to chapter 7.. We want to keep our home. What should we do
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 21, 2011, 01:15 PM

Listen to your lawyer and pay what you owe. Is there something wrong or immoral in doing that ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 21, 2011, 05:09 PM

It is illegal and you can have the entire chapter 13 thrown out without the ability to file for many years if you do not report the income. Also by hiding it, there could even be criminal charges considered.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 21, 2011, 05:50 PM

Comments on this post
    sylviawill does not find this helpful : vague and dumb

Considering your lawyer is trying to keep you out of trouble the advice wasn't vague at all. They were trying to keep you from this.

Bankruptcy fraud carries a maximum penalty of $250,000 in fines, 5 years in jail and the debtor would also not receive a discharge of debts. Also, the government might prosecute a debtor for destruction, falsification of records in Federal investigations and bankruptcy and that carries a maximum sentence of 20 years. Depending on how many acts of fraud the debtor commits, he can also be prosecuted under the RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations) statutes.

Also in case your not aware your lawyer is a sworn officer of the court. And they aren't going to go into the fryer just because you want to save a few bucks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I received 1099-Misc stating I have received payment of $2,000 in 2010. [ 2 Answers ]

I received form 1099-Misc stating that I have received $2,000 in wages or compensation in 2010. I am not self-employed; have not provided wages individually and am confused about the receipt of this form. How do I find out who reported that they paid me $2,000 for services and how do I correct...

Chapter 13 bankruptcy and inheritance [ 4 Answers ]

We are 2 years into paying our monthly payments on our Chapter 13 bankruptcy, I have just inheritated a large sum of money, do I have to let my lawyer and trustee know about this?

Received small inheritance right after filing for Chapter 13 [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I just filed for Chapter 13 a little more than a month ago. Not long after filing, my grandmother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and passed away within 2 weeks of her diagnosis. I had no clue that she had any money set aside or any sort of an estate, but at the funeral my...

$90,000 debt. $10,000 inheritance. How to best spend the money? [ 8 Answers ]

I am so glad for this resource!! =) Thanks for your time in examining my financial issues. I am a 30 year-old female living in Atlanta, GA. I rent an apartment in the city, for around $650 a month (thank God for tax-credit apartments!) =) I have the regular bills: electric ($70), water ($28), cell...

Chapter 13 inheritance [ 1 Answers ]

I racked up $100000 in credit card debt gambling on the internet. Some of these cards were in my wife's name. We filed for bankruptcy and agreed to pay over a 3 yr period. 1 yr later my wife's mother dies unexpectantly and my wife was left some money and land. Our attorney never warned us on what...

View more questions Search