Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2011, 09:41 AM
    95 and 96 sunfire parts, are they interchangeable?
    I found a 96 sunfire for sale, it needs some work, but just wondering if I could use parts from my 95 sunfire?

Sorry I made a mistake, it is a 97... so is a 97 parts interchangeable with a 96?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

May 22, 2011, 04:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily94 View Post
    I found a 96 sunfire for sale, it needs some work, but just wondering if i could use parts from my 95 sunfire?

Sorry i made a mistake, it is a 97... so is a 97 parts interchangable with a 96?
    That depends on exactly what parts you're attempting to interchange.
    Can you be more specific about the donor vehicle and the recipient vehicle, as well as what parts from what systems, etc?
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2011, 08:45 AM

I bought a '96 sunfire yesterday, my aunty and uncle have a '97 that they don't use, it over heats (headgasket) and the power steerign has gone (which is supposively a rod or something?), anyway. The '96 I bought might need a new exhaust for safety, were not sure but it sounds like it might have a small leak. It also needs new tires (which we know are interchangeable and we can take the brand new ones off the '97), it needs the cable for the e break (The one on the '96 has snapped).

That's all we know we need, but just wondering if down the line something were to go on the 96 if there's a chance I could just take it off the 97 instead of purchasing a new one.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

May 23, 2011, 06:31 PM

The exhaust should fit if the two vehicle's have the same engine/trans and wheel base: 2-door or 4-door.
    Same thing here: the park brake cable are the same part number for both the front and rear sections on those two cars if the two have common engines and wheel bases.
    I don't know if the return will be worth the effort with either the brakes or exhaust. Unless you're desperately strapped for cash, you may only be buying just a little bit of time exchanging these under-car parts.
    Caveat Emptor, if you know what I mean...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1994 Sunfire [ 3 Answers ]

My aunty had given me her 1994 Sunfire. It has some issues and we don't know what is wrong, and I am far from mechanical savvy but I want to kind of have an idea what could be wrong. First the car's power steering isn't working, what could cause this? Second, the car over heats... Which I know...

2004 Pontiac Sunfire [ 3 Answers ]

I have yet another question for you guys. I also own among my array of cars a 2004 Sunfire. This car is my primary car and it is a great little car. 120k miles and still pushing strong. But I have a feeling the mileage is starting to catch up. Here's what happens. 90% the car runs like a top....

98 sunfire [ 1 Answers ]

My dash gauges go hay wire need advice pronto

98 sunfire [ 4 Answers ]

All my gauges go haywire,the only ones that don't is the speedometer an gas.all the light gauges go off an on,the day lights also.

1993 Asuna Sunfire [ 3 Answers ]

I am told I need a belt tensioner on my Asuna... I see there are two differnet types available.. does anyone know which is the correct one ( part number etc)

View more questions Search