Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

May 20, 2011, 10:59 AM
    equity question
    Trying to get a loan approved for $235,000 - we already own property and are hoping to use our equity in it as the downpayment for this loan. We are waiting for an appraisal of the land to determine the equity. Is equity based on how much the land is appraised at, MINUS what we owe on it?
    ex: appraised at $100,000
    owe <$82,000
    equity =$18,000

this scenario makes sense to me - just wanting to know if this is how it works... thanks
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 20, 2011, 11:25 AM
    Yes, in your example your equity is $18,000. But what do you mean about a down payment for a loan? A down payment is used for a purchase, not a loan.
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

May 20, 2011, 12:04 PM

I'm referring to a home loan - a 3.5% downpayment is required (this is an FHA loan) which would be $8,225. On a $235,000 loan - I was curious how the equity thing worked - trying to get a tentative idea how much we would have to put down out of pocket. Thanks for your quick response!
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 20, 2011, 12:07 PM
    So you're talking about a down payment for the purchase of a home using an FHA loan. Ok. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Three year old won't answer a question, he only repeats the question... any thoughts? [ 7 Answers ]

I have three children who have never had any learning troubles however I babysit 2 kids each day that seem to be a little socially awkward. The oldest (age 5 1/2) won't look me in the eye and can't follow a multi-step instruction. The younger (age 3) has never been able to answer a question I ask...

Pregnancy question 14 dpo question about symptoms [ 1 Answers ]

Im 14 days dpo and have been having twinges and fluttering in my uterus. I had sex a couple of days before I ovulated and while I was ovulating. Could I be pregnant?

Equity Multiplier and Return on Equity [ 2 Answers ]

Company has a debt-equity ratio of 1.20. Return on assets is 6.5 percent, And total equity is $210,000. What is the equity multiplier? Return on equity? Net income?

View more questions Search