Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Darnell14 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2011, 06:24 AM
    Suspended sentence and dirty urine options.
    Ok, I've been out on bail for a year with the stipulation that I remain clean. There were no urine tests being taken and I was sure I was getting jail time for my offense so I lived life to the fullest. When my trial date came I lucked out and copped to a 2 year suspended sentence with ramifications up the wazoo. My first meeting with my P.O. is Monday (4 days after trial) and she stated that I would have to provide a urine at that time which will no doubt be dirty. I haven't done anything since the trial date and think I should be given a little time for my system to clean itself out... do I have a leg to stand on here? And what should I do?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 20, 2011, 06:30 AM

You were given the stipulation to remain clean and you didn't. Guess it's time to pay the piper and learn your lesson.

What makes you even think you have a leg to stand on?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 20, 2011, 06:30 AM

Stay clean and provide the urine test when specified. You can't do anything else like 'buy time' or that will send up massive red flags to your probation officer.

What else did you expect us to say ?

May 20, 2011, 06:38 AM

I know but I haven't done anything since BEING sentenced, and I plan to follow all the stipulations to a T. Shouldn't there be a small window before being slammed with a urine just several days later?
    Expert

May 20, 2011, 06:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Darnell14 View Post
    Ok, I've been out on bail for a year with the stipulation that I remain clean.
    Guess you should have remained clean then huh?
    Expert

May 20, 2011, 06:45 AM
    IShouldn't there be a small window before being slammed with a urine just several days later?
    You mean like 365 days?

Dude, you got busted, you were told to stay clean and you didn't. You're screwed. You didn't learn your lesson did you?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 20, 2011, 06:50 AM
    Shouldn't there be a small window before being slammed with a urine just several days later?
    Hello D:

There SHOULD be, but that doesn't mean there will be... It's a good argument. I'd keep making it.

excon

May 20, 2011, 06:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Guess you should have remained clean then huh?
    Tough crowd here.:eek: The difference (at least there SHOULD be a difference) is that the stipulation that I violated was for remaining out on bail (which is now over and I already got my money back.) The SENTENCE which commenced yesterday said no usage (which there hasn't been) and there won't be... makes sense, doesn't it?

May 20, 2011, 06:52 AM

I'm in Massachusetts by the way, if that makes a difference.

May 20, 2011, 06:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello D:

There SHOULD be, but that doesn't mean there will be... It's a good argument. I'd keep making it.

excon
    What do you think my odds are?
    Uber Member

May 20, 2011, 07:00 AM
    makes sense, doesn't it?
    Hello again, D:

Yes, and I'd KEEP using it... I think YOU have them down, but there are a few distinctions at work here... Before you were supervised by the probation department, you were supervised by the court. The COURT supervision says NOTHING about getting high AFTER you've been released. The probation supervision says NOTHING about getting high BEFORE you were put on probation. Therefore, you did NOT violate your probation.

I fondly remember a situation I was involved in... I was in a half way house STILL under the supervision of the Department of Corrections... I wasn't allowed to visit my old partner, but I did anyway. The cops were watching him and saw me with him..

Then I got OUT of the half way house and was put under supervision by the probation department... The fu**ing cops called me up and threatened to VIOLATE my supervision because I visited my friend... But, of course, THAT supervision had ended with NO violations, and a new one started. I certainly hadn't violated the new one...

I have to tell you, it gave me GREAT pleasure to tell that cop to go to hell.

excon
    Expert

May 20, 2011, 07:00 AM

You see, you were told BEFORE you were sentenced to stay clean and you didn't. The court has the authority to test you immediately after sentencing if they so please. Had you followed instructions prior to sentencing you wouldn't have to worry, but you didn't.

You made the choice to live "life to the fullest" after you were told to "remain clean," and now you have to suffer the consequences to your actions.

Had you followed directions you wouldn't be in this position.

May 20, 2011, 07:06 AM

Thanks for the advice guys (even the [I]sobering[I] viewpoint from J_9.) Guess I'll play my hand on Monday see where the cards fall. Hopefully I'll be back to report a positive outcome!
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 20, 2011, 07:43 AM
    Tough crowd here.:eek: The difference (at least there SHOULD be a difference) is that the stipulation that I violated was for remaining out on bail (which is now over and I already got my money back.) The SENTENCE which commenced yesterday said no usage (which there hasn't been) and there won't be... makes sense, doesn't it?
    Yes, I get it actually. You haven't violated the conditions of the sentence and, although you admittedly violated the conditions of bail, the bail has been exonerated. The penalty for violation of bail should be considered separately. If your UA comes up dirty, make the argument. It couldn't hurt to try, I guess.

Arguably, the remedy for violation of bail would be an exclusive remedy (keeping the bail amount), and would not include revoking probation after conviction.

One problem I can see is that you may not be able to prove that a dirty UA indicates whether the drug use was before or after the sentencing.

... The COURT supervision says NOTHING about getting high AFTER you've been released. ...
    I don't quite follow that part. Released on bail? Sure it does.

Or do you mean released from bail? The judge said "Defendant is released from bail, and sentenced to two years probation." The "window" of opportunity would be about as long as the judge took to say that comma between "bail" and "and sentenced". :)
    Uber Member

May 20, 2011, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    One problem I can see is that you may not be able to prove that a dirty UA indicates whether the drug use was before or after the sentencing.
    Hello again, lawyer:

It's worse than that... In the first place, proof is NOT a factor in probation violations. Suspicion is good enough...

Plus, the PO COULD say, and I've seen 'em do it, that it doesn't matter WHEN the drug was consumed... It only matters that he POSSESSES it NOW, within his tissues... That's a violation...

I'd STILL make the argument, though.

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 20, 2011, 08:09 AM
    It's worse than that... In the first place, proof is NOT a factor in probation violations. Suspicion is good enough...
    I understand that (except that if the PO asks the court to revoke probation there is some "burden of proof" - the judge is going to have to find that he violated the conditions). But what I'm saying is that even if the PO is sympathetic to his argument, she could say "Yes, ok, but assuming it makes a difference, how do I know you didn't take the drug yesterday?"

What do you think, excon, should he be above-board and admit it before doing the UA?
    BMI Posts: 892, Reputation: 270

May 20, 2011, 08:14 AM
    Wrote something, missed second page, no longer relevant, don't know how to delete, sorry.
    Uber Member

May 20, 2011, 08:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    except that if the PO asks the court to revoke probation there is some "burden of proof" - the judge is going to have to find that he violated the conditions. What do you think, Excon, should he be above-board and admit it before doing the UA?
    Hello again, lawyer:

The PO would NEVER ask the court to violate his prior supervision, when she could just violate the present supervision a whole lot easier. That is, if she has a mind to violate him at all.

He's going to be found out anyway... Arguing that he got high BEFORE he was on HER probation is the ONLY argument he has.

excon

May 20, 2011, 08:23 AM

That almost answers my other question. Should I try to garner a little support/sympathy beforehand by saying my urine may be dirty and this is why? Or should I wait for the results and try to if and & but my way out of it then?
    Uber Member

May 20, 2011, 08:30 AM
    Should I try to garner a little support/sympathy beforehand by saying my urine may be dirty and this is why?
    Hello again, D:

There AIN'T no sympathy or support... There's only COPS and PO'S wanting to bust you. You don't like them. They don't like you.

This is simply a matter of whether she THINKS she can sustain a violation or not. Your ONLY hope is to let her know that she MIGHT get a decent argument out of you in front of a judge.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Suspended-sentence [ 4 Answers ]

My son has a 12 month suspended sentence, one of his conditions is not to contact his x partner,last week under the influence of drink he text her only to wish her happy new year,will he be sent to prison for it

Minor offence whilst on suspended sentence? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Ive been charged with Section 5 public order offence 'use threatening words/behaviour to cause harassment, alarm or distress' I was basically drunk in a pub and the police were called as I was being verbally abusive I do have 2 previous convictions for similar more serious offences, the...

Violation of fifteen year suspended sentence [ 3 Answers ]

I signed a guilty plea for a suspended sentence,I was given fifteen suspended to three years and five years probation.My public defender talked me into this as it was my first felony.Well, after finishing my three years and about two of the five years of probation, I received a charge for...

Suspended sentence [ 2 Answers ]

I was suspended for 5 years, now 3 years has lapse so I want to know that can I get a job

Suspended sentence [ 1 Answers ]

I was charged with assault with a weapon a few months ago and my lawyer gave me the papers about my case and included in them was a paper saying what crown council wanted. They want me to get a "suspended sentence" can anyone tell me exactly what that is. And if it will be on my record forever. Or...

View more questions Search