Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HPATEL1970 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2011, 06:12 AM
    Filing Status for Non Resident on L-1 Visa
    I am working in the U.S.A. since 2008. I have lived here all these years. Hence I pass the substantial presence test for nonresident aliens. Can I use form 1040 to file my income tax. The income I have is from the W-2 and interest in the bank accounts.
    Thank you.
    Harshad
    Indian CPA Posts: 22, Reputation: 7

May 20, 2011, 06:54 AM

Yes, you should be filing 1040.

Indian CPA
    Home - Indian CPA
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

May 20, 2011, 07:21 AM
    If you pass the substantial presence test you are a resident alien (not a non-resident alien) and you would use form 1040 (or 1040A, 1040EZ) to file your return.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 20, 2011, 02:02 PM
    Harshad:

ARE YOU MARRIED? If so, you can file with your spouse, even if he/she are located in your home country.
    HPATEL1970 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2011, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Indian CPA View Post
    Yes, you should be filing 1040.

Indian CPA
    Home - Indian CPA
    Dear sir,

Thank you. I have a follow up question:
    Since I have already filed for years 2008, 2009 and 2010 using 1040 NR, can I amend those returns using 1040X and form 1040 take the standard deduction and/or Itemize the deductions using Sch A?

I like to pay for your time. Your help is and will be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Harshad
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 21, 2011, 05:26 PM
    You can amend 2009 and 2010 if your visa is a work visa.

For 2008, it depends on WHEN you arrived in the U.S.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing status for resident alien but part year resident in VA state ? [ 11 Answers ]

I have question related to my Virginia state filing status as resident or non-resident or PartYearResident. I am single and lived in Virginia from 2005 to 2010 as a resident(alien). I moved out of VA on June 2010 to my home country i.e India and donot plan to go back USA. My stay in VA in 2010...

Dual status return non resident single and resident married filing [ 1 Answers ]

I was on F1-OPT till oct-2009 (exempt) and hence was considered non resident for tax purposes. I moved to H1B and am currently employed under this visa. Since I spent > 183 days in the US I am a resident for tax purposes from oct-dec 2009. I think I should file dual status tax return for this tax...

Resident alien with non-resident spouse - tax filing status [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a resident alien that got married in 2007 but my spouse lives in another country. I've continued filing as single because we were married in another country. Can I amend my past returns? Can I now file as married filing jointly? My spouse does not work. Would this affect future immigration...

Resident Alien on H1B Visa -- Marital Filing Status [ 4 Answers ]

Dear helpdesk, I appreciate the time taken by experts to answer the questions asked by the users of this website. I have a question regarding the filing status. I am working in US on H1B Visa status for past couple of years. I lived almost whole year of 2008 in US(except couple of...

B1 status changed to J1 visa , filing tax as non resident vs resident [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I have been in the US for 1.5 years. I arrived on July 2006 to work as a physician alien and research scholar. I was previously in the US partially for at least 6 months each of the previous years from 2002 to 2005 on a B1 visa. When I came to the US in 2006 I had a J1 visa. I filled last...

View more questions Search