Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JHinson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2011, 05:20 PM
    My child isn't crawling at 10 months.
    I was wondering if it was normal for my 10 month old daughter to not be crawling? She absolutely hates to be on her stomach.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 19, 2011, 05:51 PM

Every child reaches the various developmental stages in his own time and finds his own ways of getting into his world. One of my two sons never crawled. He would scootch across the floor while sitting on his butt. I was sure I'd have to carry him for the rest of my life, but he was getting so heavy! Finally, when he was eighteen months old, he moved from sitting to standing next to furniture and then to walking while holding on. He's been walking just fine ever since.

Be sure to talk with your child's pediatrician to make sure there's nothing medically (internally) or physically wrong (bone structure). There are several medical experts on this site who will see your question and give more specific advice than I did.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 19, 2011, 05:54 PM

Has she found other ways to get around? If so, she may have no real use for crawling and may still get to it. Does she support herself a bit when sitting? Does she push up with her arms if she topples over or when she is on her tummy? Does she try to support herself if held in a standing position?

It can be perfectly normal for her not to be crawling at 10 months. If you feel she has reached other milestones of development, then it may just be a matter of time... or she may skip it altogether. If you have concerns about other areas, bring it to her doctor's attention and they will do a check.
    eastern Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2011, 09:57 PM
    My kids didn't crawl until 12 months its better for them to crawl longer it's something to do with the motion of crossing over the hands and development of the different hemispheres of the brain two of my kids are lawyers two are therapists and one works in marketing this has little connection development wait if you think it's too long later ask your md to make sure it is nothing wrong but that's not too long to crawl
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2011, 02:15 PM
    Could be anything from not liking the feel of you flooring, to having a different way to get around, from not moving because people give her what she wants, to not being ready. Since you're worried, I would advise that you take her for a check up at the pediatrician and rule out anything physical or developmental - no sense sitting around worried about it. And if it were something serious of a medical or developmental nature, there would probably be more than one indication of a problem. Does she move her legs around otherwise, does she appear to have pain or discomfort? You say she doesn't like to be on her stomach - does it bother her if you touch her stomach or rub it? Maybe she doesn't like the itchy feel of carpet on her stomach - hard to say. My son used to hate the feeling of the wool carpet on our second floor - would only sit or crawl on the floor or play on the floor in another part of the house - if he was in his room he wanted a blanket on the floor - turned out later he's allergic to wool and it probably really did bother him.
    mulattomama Posts: 36, Reputation: 7

Jun 15, 2011, 10:21 AM

My daughter never crawled. She kind of crab-walked/scooted. From there she went straight to walking. Some kids never crawl and some crawl later. Kids develop at different rates, but if you're worried, talk to your pediatrician.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My baby is 9 months and not crawling [ 5 Answers ]

My son is 9 months old (will be 10 months old on the 11th) and still isn't crawling. What can I do to encourage him to start crawling. Every time I put him on his belly he just lays down and goes to sleep or after about 30 minutes on his belly he will just start crying. Why can I do to help him...

Baby crawling [ 7 Answers ]

Our grand daughter is 6 months and 3 weeks and does not crawl or even try. What she does is lay on her back and arch her back and scoot on the top of her head. It looks painful. Has any one seen this with their child? If so, how long before they got the idea to crawl? Please reply Dave

Mites crawling all over floor [ 7 Answers ]

I have these mites that are all smaller than a pen point. Some are smaller than others and the smaller ones are a light peach; The bigger ones are black and sometimes tan. They are in the kitchen around the windows and spreading outward toward my floor. They are all over the counter tops but I...

Is this normal.having a child after 16 months? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 17 years old and had an unplanned pregnancy when I was 15. My daughter is 16 months old, and I didn't breast feed I bottle fed. Well my breasts have been sore so I massaged them and it seemed.. colostrum came out.. like the stuff that develop in your breasts later into your pregnancy. I...

Fever, skin crawling [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend has been complaining of a fever, shivers and that his skin is crawling. Does anyone know what the cause could be and how we could treat it?

View more questions Search