Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Zeppelin84 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2011, 10:25 AM
    Dating a recently sober guy
    I have been dating a guy who has been sober 6 months. We have been together for over a month. We have known each other for quite some time as my best friend is his best friend. We are taking it very slow and we both are starting to fall for each other. I want to be very supportive, understanding, and patient. Was wondering what I can do be a very supportive, understanding and patient girlfriend. It has been a little rough for me but I am willing to do what it takes to be there 100% behind him. He goes to a lot of meetings and we spend about 1 day to 2 days a week together. Please give me as much information on being a girlfriend of an ex-alcholic. I do not drink myself so no problems there. Not even a few with the friends. Thank-you!
    adviceishere Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 492
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2011, 10:39 AM
    I haven't actually experienced this type of situation before, I have never dated anyone in recovery but it sounds to me like everything is going good with you guys, I don't think there is anything you nescessarily need coaching on. Although I could be wrong!

Unless you guys come to a cross roads where he may be falling off the wagon then I would start to look for help, but neither of you drink, your both having fun, he is attending his meetings, everything is going good! :) so keep at it, sounds like your being as supportive as you can by just being his girlfriend. Don't look for solutions to problems that haven't yet happened, and hopefully never will!:)
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2011, 11:07 AM

I know a few people in recovery and most have been advised not to get involved in a relationship until they have been sober for a full year. They need to focus entirely on their recovery and making amends in existing relationships and work on getting their own life on track before they involve another person. Other reasoning that's been explained to me is that the euphoric feeling of a new relationship can mask the feelings of recovery, and simply replace some of the impact of the former substnce use, and only delays the person actually fully experiencing what they need to withdrawing from those substances.

But you're already in this relationship so I would recommend that you and your boyfriend meet with his sponsor, that you join and attend AlAnon which is an organization for people who have alcoholics in their lives, and most of all take it very slowly.

Absolutely do not move in together. Do not pay his bills or help him in any way with finances. Do not rush him into a commitment, nor let yourself be in any kind of commitment with him. If you want to give a future with him a try you should also commit to a clean and sober lifestyle, as if you want to go to bars or order wine at dinner, or have a party where you serve beer, you will be undermining him. Do not save him from his own messes if he relapses and do not go pick him up, bail him out of jail or otherwise enable his misbehaviors - he has to go through this whole process and suffer the consequences of any of his own actions fully, whether good or bad.

Many recovering people have been derailed by new relationships when these people, in the name of love, "make up for" the tough love tactics of others in the person's life who are trying to force the person into active recovery. For example, parents of adults in recovery may refuse to bail their son out of jail after a bender in the hopes that the experience and legal system will force him into complying with recovery, then a well-meaning girlfriend bails the guy out and ruins the opportunity at recovery.

Keep your time with him limited, maintain your own social life and interest and know this cannot be a quick deal - he needs time whether he wants to take it or not.
    adviceishere Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 492
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2011, 11:15 AM
    ERROR: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to dontknownuthin again.

Brilliant advice! You have given me loads of insight too!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 19, 2011, 12:22 PM

ERROR: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to dontknownuthin again.

Absolutely brilliant advice.

The only thing I would add to this advice is its only been a month together so be aware there is much to learn, and while it's a lot for him to deal with his own demons right now, a relationship may be out of his reach at this time as its VERY important for him to stay focused, so keep your own expectations very realistic, and pay attention very closely.

No I have never recommended starting a relationship after 6 months in recovery, and you would do well yourself to consult with an ALANON group, so you know what you are dealing with.

You may like this fellow and want to support him, but without the tools you simply cannot. Plus you know nothing of what he is capable of when taken over by his demon, or in the throes of being restless, irritable, and discontent.

Talk with his sponsor, and get in touch with an ALANON group. That's a start.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm dating one guy, but I like another guy that I have known for a long time. [ 5 Answers ]

Ok... so I am dating this guy that I really like, might even love. I have known him for about a year and a half, two years now. We have been dating for about 6 months now. Everyone tells me that we make a really cute couple, and that we are so good together. Problem is, this other guy that I...

My ex is dating another guy [ 3 Answers ]

All right, so ill try and keep it short and I greatly appreciate you reading this and hopefully replying. All right so I was dating this girl for around a year and seven months we went through a break up before but it was a very mutual break up... Now what happened now is we broke up February...

I'm Dating this guy and I kind of like him but I'm in love with this other guy [ 5 Answers ]

OK it may sound weird but I'm dating this guy that like loves me that he'd never ever dump me, but I only like him a bit and plus we never hang out. Anyway but at the same time I'm like In love with this other guy that doesn't like me! What do I do?

Is it wrong to be dating one guy and like him and another guy? [ 11 Answers ]

I am dating this guy and he is really sweet and likes me for me. Well before me and him were dating I liked this other guy but he had a girl friend. So I asked him if we could be friends well he said yea. So we are friends. Well then me and my the guy I am dating now started dating after that and...

I was dating this guy! [ 6 Answers ]

:confused: Dear reader I was dating this guy alog time ago. Then I had a crush on this other guy right after breaking up with this first guy then I went out with a second guy but still like the guy... ok this is confusing lets just cal the guys #1#2#3 so I went out with #1 but after breaking up...

View more questions Search