Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitziam123 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2011, 08:52 AM
    Do I still need home insurance
    Do I still need house insurance legally if I have paid off my mortgage? I live in the house but have recently found out that insurance companies do not insure the walls of the house!! Unless they have fallen down and the
    Foundations of the house move at the same time!! How many time would that happen for heavens sake!!
    mitziam123
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 19, 2011, 08:59 AM

Your homeowners insurance does more than insure the "walls" of the house. It provides protection agaist fire and smoke damage, water damage caused by pipe breakage, storm/wind damage, personal property, and perhaps most important: liability insurance.

If you have paid off your mortgage there is no rule that says you have to carry insurance. But if you don't and your house burned down you'd be left with nothing, and if the neighbor's kid breaks his leg in your yard you'd have to pay his medical costs and whatever amount you are sued for yourself. Are you prepared to take on that risk?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need home insurance [ 6 Answers ]

I have a bank mortgage on Land and mobile home I lived in for 24yrs but the mobile home is unlivable now but I still want the land and I am still making my mortgage payments. My home insurance was cancelled due to the fact I am no longer living in the mobile home. Do I need insurance because I...

Home Owners insurance [ 3 Answers ]

How can I find out who my neighbors home owners insurance company is? How can I found out if a home owners has home owners insurance? Is it legal to do so?

Home owners insurance [ 2 Answers ]

This really happened & I am baffled by the result. A tree in my yard falls & hits one of my cars. The car only has liability insurance coverage on it. The car was a total loss. My first reaction was that the home owners policy will take care of that. Not.. Evidently it only covers acts of...

View more questions Search