Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Andre Foux Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2011, 01:11 PM
    How to connect electrical wires of new condenser motor (Emerson)
    I'm installing a new Emerson condenser fan motor and capacitor. The wire colors are Black, White, Brown, Striped Brown. I understand that Black goes to electric panel, Brown and Striped Brown to capacitor. Where does the White go? And how to I connect the wires to the capacitor two terminal with 3 pronges?

Andre Foux
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2011, 08:00 PM

Did the previous motor have a separate capacitor, or was it connected to a dual capacitor shared with the compressor? If you are changing from one arrangement to the other, the black wire connects to L1, the white wire connects to L2 on the load-side of the contactor. The brown wires each connect to opposite terminals of the capacitor.
    Andre Foux Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2011, 07:57 AM

Thanks for your response. Yes the capacitor is shared with the compressor. Would I connect the two compressor wires to opposite terminals on the capacitor?

Andre Foux
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2011, 03:37 AM

No. Leave the compressor connected as is. The new fan motor will now have a capacitor of its own.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacement condenser fan motor wires are too short - now what? [ 2 Answers ]

The wires are about 10 inches too short. In normal wiring one would make a junction box and wire up extensions, but there is no place for a junction box inside the unit, of course. The original fan motor also used a flexible metal conduit, although the new fan wires appear to be overinsulated for...

Old AC condenser fan motor - which wires are which? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Climatrol unit with an Emerson condenser motor that is shot. I bought an Emerson Rescue motor to replace it from the local AC supply store. The wiring diagram was stored in the AC unit, and it is no longer readable. The three disconnected motor wires from the old unit are yellow,...

Emerson motor condenser wiring replacing 3 wire motor with 5 wire. [ 5 Answers ]

Any recommendations? New motor apparently is capable of running in either direction by switching brown and purple wires going to the capacitor. Looks like then either the remaining brown or purple is spliced to or hooked up to the same terminal as the yellow. Thanks.

Emerson condenser fan motor [ 5 Answers ]

I just replaced my condenser fan motor old one is a Emerson k55hxlrh-0208 1/5 hp 1.0 amps 208/220/240 volt 850rpm .The closes one I could get is 1/5 hp 208/230 volts 1.3 amps 1075 rpm now is shuts off in the miday heat

Can any 4-wire condenser fan motor be wired with 3 wires [ 0 Answers ]

I had someone ask me today how to replace a 3-wire condenser fan motor with a 4-wire motor. He said there was not a 3-wire connection diagram on the motor. I told him to just use a new capacitor and wire it with all 4 wires. But my question is; Can any 4-wire motor be wired with the 3-wire...

View more questions Search