Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hojomc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2011, 05:13 AM
    Loud popping noise
    I live in an apt. building. For several months I would occasionally hear a loud, single popping noise in the hallway ceiling when I would turn on or off a switch. Sometimes just nudging the switch slightly could set off the pop. These pops would occur maybe once a month and with several different switches, but not all of them. I haven't been shocked, and there haven't been any other problems.

Recently this loud popping has gone off randomly at night when I am sleeping. I am not doing anything different with any electrical appliances. Sometimes it will pop loudly 3-7 times in a row, and sometimes it will do this 2-3 times a night.

I have spoken to my landlord, but he is not following through will his usual diligence. I live in a small town that is experiencing a housing boom, so electricians can be difficult to contact.

Could someone please tell me what the problem is, how it could be fixed, and just how serious/dangerous it is. I am concerned about fire and my sleep and health are being affected by poor sleep and worrying.

Thank you,
    Holly
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 18, 2011, 06:29 AM
    Noise is difficult to diagnois over the internet.

If the noise is from the switches, then the switches need to be replaced.

If the noise is from the light fixture, there may be a loose connection, that needs to be repaired.

All probably simple repairs if done promptly, if left alone, more damage can be done to the connections, devices, fixtures, insulation on wiring, etc.

I am not sure what you plan to do about this, you cannot do the repairs in an apartment builidng. The landlord needs to call in an electrician.

You may call in the electrical inspector, fire marshall, housing dept, some municipal agency, to report the problem and force the landlord to take action before there is a fire, all at the risk of causing trouble for the landlord, and possibly yourself.

The risk of fire must be eliminated for your and other tenant safety, and the risk of creating problems for the landlord is irrelevant.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 18, 2011, 01:38 PM
    You will sometime hear a popping sound when the center contactor in a screw base socket is fatigued and there is a small gap between it and the lightbulb. Will also sound like a sizzle too, especially when turning the light on and off. This should be an easy repair for your landlord, electrician or handyman but could become more dangerous if left unattended.
    Kyle_in_rure Posts: 341, Reputation: 10

May 18, 2011, 05:32 PM
    If the popping is coming directly from the switches, you most likely just need to replace them, they are probably worn out and not contacting correctly. You might take the switchplates off and just make sure you don't see anything suspicious in the box, like a burning wire or a prominent odor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Tub makes Loud Popping sound after use [ 2 Answers ]

We have a new home, one year old, and every night after we have given the kids a bath, and have emptied the water, the tub makes a very loud popping sound. This popping happens several times every night and it can continue for up to 8 hrs after the bath. Please advise.

Why is my heat pump noise making a loud noise? [ 4 Answers ]

This morning my heat pump sounded like a lawn mower running. It's coming from the outside and it was loud enough for me to think someone had generator running in my back yard.

Loud popping wall [ 6 Answers ]

I have read through the questions and answers concerning the popping and/or cracking of walls, but my situation is a little different. In the earlier inquiries the construction is only a few years old. My house is 13 years old and the popping started last winter. The sound is similar to the wall...

Loud Popping Type Noises [ 3 Answers ]

We recently build a new house. During the night really loud popping noises start coming from the attic, so loud that they awake me, it can to me be quite frightening. Is it the timber expanding and contracting that makes up the roof?

View more questions Search