Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mferguson Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jan 26, 2007, 03:11 PM
    Beginning Balances
    I feel not smart for having to ask this question.

I am a new accountant for an existing company that was purchased recently.

The new owners told me to put in the existing AR and AP, which I did.

Then after their vacation they gave me the beginning balances that they purchased and they wanted those specific amounts put in.

As I put those beginning balances in it then doubled my AR and AP on my trial balance. I need the transactions in so that I can have a current Aged Receivables and Payables.

How can I make this right?

At first I did a journal entry that took them out of the expense account and accounts payable. Then when I paid the expenses I subtracted the amount from the acquired payables. That made my trial balances correct but those expenses are not reflected on the income statement. That cannot be right!

HELP would be appreciated!
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2007, 04:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mferguson
    The new owners told me to put in the existing AR and AP, which I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by mferguson
    Then after their vacation they gave me the beginning balances that they purchased and they wanted those specific amounts put in.

Please explain more clearly what you mean by those 2 statements.
    mferguson Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jan 29, 2007, 07:34 AM
    I don't really understand your question. I put all the sales invoices to produce a correct aged receivables and all of the expense invoices to produce a correct aged payables. Then the owners gave me the beginning balances that they wanted me to post as given. Than would mean that my TB for AR & AP were doubled.

I guess the question is how do I make my trial balance correct?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Beginning runner needs help [ 2 Answers ]

I'm currently trying to train for what's called an Eco Challenge and I'm starting by running mainly. I need to work up quickly to 4miles and I'm struggling at 2 1/2 right now. I need breathing tips also. Hopeful jogger :eek:

Beginning Accounting [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a problem with the following type of problem The given information is Beg. Year Assets & liabilities are given Ending yr Assets & liabilities are given Revenue given

Account balances and bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I are filing bankruptcy, but he has a civilian job and is also in the national guard, well he recently reenlisted and will be getting a reenlistment bonus of $15,000... although he will only get half of it at once... will getting this extra money (around tax season nonetheless when...

In the beginning... [ 108 Answers ]

I direct these questions to Christians, but any may answer. As a preface to your answer please tell me if you are or are not a Christian. FYI, I am a Christian. 1. Do you believe in evolution? 2. Do you believe in the "gap theory?" 3. Do you believe the 6 days of creation were 24 hour...

IS it just me or is the beginning the hardest? [ 14 Answers ]

I am just curious, did anyone else here have a really tough time with their husband/wife the first couple of years, because boy, I sure am!:( My husband and I had a baby a yr ago and it has gotten really hard lately. Tonight for example he just took off and took out $150.00 out of our account...

View more questions Search