Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2011, 07:31 AM
    So it's over-- 20 years down the drain
    Well I've had other threads pertaining to this friend of mine whom I've been friends with for such a very long time.. but here's a summary.

Friend meets bad guy who loves to be in jail and deal drugs and do drugs and lots of fun things like that... like abusing her-- verbally and physically. I tell said friend to stay away from him-- he's bad. She thinks otherwise. Stays with him and gets pregnant. I tell friend stay away from him baby doesn't need a man like that. Friend stays. Something happens (no sure exactly what) but they break up (finally!) and she moves back into mother's house. I tell said friend move here with me, stay far from that guy, get full custody with a no contact order-- protect that baby. Nothing. I find out she's still telling him she loves him even though a few days after he kicked her out of his house he has a new girlfriend living there. I keep telling her move on move on stay strong... etc.

Now we are at yesterday. His sister writes something on her Facebook wall-- insulting her and her baby. I tell my friend delete these losers off Facebook you don't need them in your life. Bad guy's sister says more insulting things to her so I sent her a private message and said "Grow a backbone! Do you like to be abused by this family?". Her retort "F--k you! You stupid b*tch-- F--k off...stop fighting like a 2 year old".

Now I'm hurt and angry.

I write on her wall saying how could she do that to me-- when I've tried my hardest to help her and that that guy ended our friendship.

More hurtful things are said from her.

I block her off FB and my phone.

My question: was I wrong?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 17, 2011, 08:12 AM

No, because you have done you best to be a friend, now let her be mad and frustrated while she learns to do better, and figure what the right thing is. She will, eventually, but for now she needs the time and space for the emotional dust to settle, and her head and heart to clear.

If and when she wants to reconnect, she knows how, so don't worry, but send her a prayer, and let the dust settle, hers, and YOURS.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 17, 2011, 08:43 AM
    Nope. Always be on the lookout for toxic relationships and exorcise them from your life.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

May 17, 2011, 09:13 AM

NC's the best thing here Muddy,you tried,it didn't work-her loss.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2011, 10:17 AM

Thanks guys... I was doubting myself. I'm just sad that things had to end this way.

Blah... c'est la vie.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

May 17, 2011, 10:28 AM

You can never save another person,they can only save themselves.

(C'est domage,mais c'est vraiment la vie.)
    mmresd Posts: 2,002, Reputation: 553
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2011, 02:14 PM
    No, you did your job as a friend. Let her be, they seem to be made for each other.

Good Luck,
    Javi
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 17, 2011, 02:20 PM

So sorry it had to come to that, but you did what you could. She will likely see that some day and regret her behaviour.

I'd have ended it as well.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2011, 08:56 AM
    Nope. It's time. Sometimes you just have to let your friends deal with the consequences of their own actions and decisions. You've tried your hardest to help her on numerous occasions. She has rejected your counsel time and time again.

I'm sorry to say that she is not your friend. You are hers, but she is not yours.

smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 18, 2011, 12:11 PM

You did right... just because this old friend decided to take their life down the DARKSIDE... doesn't mean you have to accept it.

They made their bed... let them sleep in it.

I've had to turn my back on others in the past... and likely will in the future.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 years down the drain [ 15 Answers ]

Sigh my girlfriend and I just broke up yesterday... I have a lot of thoughts about her and I really miss her but then the problems is that she likes this guy at her school and doesn't have to same feelings for me. I was the one who figured out that she didn't feel the same way and I told her that...

7-Years down the drain? [ 19 Answers ]

Back story: GF and I have been together for around 7 years. Technically she cheated on her current boyfriend when her and I got together. Around 3 years in we took a 6 month break since things were just not working well and she wanted to see other people. We eventually found each other again and...

4 Years Gone Down The Drain. [ 3 Answers ]

Its been about 7 weeks now sence my ex has left me. There were A LOT of different things that contributed to the break up. It felt surreal at first, like I was in a dream... It hasn't really hit me untill now, feeling all alone. I was content with the situation at first, I felt happy to be free and...

3 years down the drain? [ 1 Answers ]

:( well, I've been dating this guy for about 3 years now. We were on and off for quite a while. I never felt this way about anybody in my life. And he's not the best guy for me, everyone tells me that I can do so much better because of the way he treated me. But something about him that makes me...

6 years down the drain? [ 13 Answers ]

My girl and I had been going out for 4 years of college after college she decided to move down to FL with her sis for a year or so. We broke up just before she left but we still loved each other and. It has been almost three years since she moved down there we talk every day we visit each other...

View more questions Search