Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    veener Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2011, 10:06 AM
    How to run just a furnace fan
    Hello, I am a new home owner and been doing a little research on my own to resolve this problem but thought I should ask the pros first. I have a 10 year old furnace with only 2 wires(R,W) running to my thermostat. I would like to get the cool air from my basement to the upper floor. My basement is finished and I cannot fish a new G wire without tearing into walls. Is it possible or safe to disconnect either R or W and use that wire to connect G to G? If not is there another option that safe and affordable. Thank you.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2011, 07:39 PM
    You can switch wires back an forth on your Thermostat to make the blower work. But after a few years it may start to do some ware and tare on your thermostat. If your furnace is easley accessible, add a blower switch at the furnace.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2011, 06:02 PM

There are thermostats available (like the Bryant T6) that can manage fully featured systems using only 2 wires between the display module and the equipment control module. These were designed specifically for situations like what you have (limited availability of control wires).

May 18, 2011, 12:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Top View Post
    You can switch wires back an forth on your Thermostat to make the blower work. But after a few years it may start to do some ware and tare on your thermostat. If your furnace is easley accessible, add a blower switch at the furnace.
    Thanks for the info, I have been looking around on how to safely run a switch. Would someone be able to explain it here? Please?
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2011, 03:39 AM

Posting the brand/model# of the furnace would be helpful. One way to accomplish this: At the furnace, move the "W" wire to the "G" terminal. Turning the thermostat up will cause the furnace blower to run.

May 20, 2011, 05:24 PM
    Thanks for everything, I simply switched the W to the G at the furnace. I only run the fan for a few hours a day so I don't burn out the fan motor. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Run Furnace Fan [ 2 Answers ]

How to I wire an electric furnace so just the fan runs in the summer.

Fan on lennox furnace won't run [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I have a 20 year old Lennox Conservator 3... gas furnace/AC combination unit. The problem started as: When I set the thermostat to "heat" and fan on "auto", the burner would light and stay on for a few minutes then shut down (as it is supposed to do) because the fan was not coming on....

GMC Furnace - fan won't run [ 1 Answers ]

I have a GMC Furnace. When it calls for heat the small fan starts and the igniter goes on. The blower fan does not activate nor do the burners lite. The gas valve does not appear to open? I see a small red led light on the circuit board does this have any meaning?

Furnace fan continuis run [ 1 Answers ]

I run my furnace and central air fan 100 % of the time is this costing me more money as opposed to the motor starting many times a day. Does it cost more for the motor to start than to have it run all the time.

View more questions Search