Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marthatyner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2011, 07:43 AM
    Must I pay taxes on the disability backpay payment? If so, how much do I pay?
    I was approved for disability and was sent a large backpay disability check. Must I pay taxes on this check amount and if so how much?
    Indian CPA Posts: 22, Reputation: 7

May 14, 2011, 11:49 AM
    There isn't a simple Yes or No answer.
    If the disability payments are from a private policy that you made premium contributions to (not part of a State program or entirely funded by employer plan), than the payments are NOT taxable income.

Refer to IRS Publication 525.

Indian CPA
    Home - Indian CPA
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 14, 2011, 12:09 PM
    If this is US Social Security Disability, you must include that lump sum in your calculations. Whether you will owe or not depends on factors such as total income, single/married, and whether you take the lump sum election for benefits covering the previous year, which may or may not mean a lower tax. If you feel anonymous you can say all that here, but I wouldn't if this ID is your real name.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have to pay back maternity leave pay or disability pay? [ 0 Answers ]

I'm going out on disability next week for about three-four weeks. After that, I'll be having a baby and I'll get 6 weeks maternity pay at 50%. Do I have to pay my company back for this if I quit while on leave? My benefits are under my husband.

I pay $1 for LTD premiums after taxes and employer pays rest. Is my LTD pay taxable [ 1 Answers ]

I pay $ 1 for LTD premiums after taxes. My employer pays rest of premium for LTD for me. Will my LTD checks be taxable now that I've just been granted full disability?

Do I have to file taxes on disability backpay? [ 1 Answers ]

Do I have to file taxes on my disability backpay? I also had income of $15000 before I received the disability last year. I received $28000 back pay.

SSI and Disability taxable if you pay property taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a 51 year old grandma on ssi and disability. My 25 year old daughter is also on ssi and disability and just had a child in September. I pay property taxes on my trailer of 350 dollars per year... is there any way to claim this grandson or the property taxes... and get anything back?? ...

View more questions Search