Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lawnfixer52 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2011, 09:35 AM
    I have options to settle several credit cards that are past due, is this legal
    Is settling a debt good for your credit. Our credit is bad credit card debt high. We got a settlement for a card with a very high balance the settlement is for 70%. We pay 30% of balance. My husband is on disability now & unable to pay our debts in full. He had 3 back surgeries. He is unable to work. If we pay the settle amount. Will we bothered by any other collection agencies. I guess what I am asking will the bill be paid in full. Please help desperate.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 13, 2011, 10:43 AM
    It's legal, but there are plenty of unscrupulous credit settlement companies out there. They take their profit from your payments first, often the first 1, 2, or 2 payments you make, then pay off the card companies. You need to know that they won't take your money and run.

I take it you aren't dealing directly with the card companies? Tell us the name if you want and we can research their reputation. (You can too, just by entering the name into your browser, and looking for links about any scams.)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 16, 2011, 09:57 AM
    Also note this tax fact: the 70% portion of the debt that is being forgiven is considered TAXABLE INCOME by the IRS, so you will a Form 1099-C from the credit card company. The income will be reported on Line #21 of the Form 1040, and you will pay federal (and probably state) income tax on that income.
    Indian CPA Posts: 22, Reputation: 7

May 16, 2011, 12:08 PM

Once the debt is settled, follow up with the credit card company to update the credit bureaus on the settlement. This will improve your credit.

Cancelled debt will be considered as Income and you owe taxes. If this amount is substantial you should consider making estimated tax payment.

Indian CPA
    Home - Indian CPA
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 16, 2011, 01:43 PM
    Indian CPA:

Good points about the estimated payments AND proper updating of the credit record.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm very past due on credit cards can they put a lean on my house [ 3 Answers ]

I'm with a debt settlement company who have not contacted my creditors yet and they are now sueing me can they lean on my house, stocks and savings

Not Legal domestic partners share credit cards and bank account now he passed [ 4 Answers ]

I share credit cards with my deceased lover of 12 years he's on my bank account and I'm on his credit card,

Knowing which credit bureau is being checked when you apply for credit/Credit Cards [ 1 Answers ]

Which credit cards use only the trans union credit report for their cc applications? this knowledge may help me save part of my universe>:D

Making payments on a past due credit card [ 2 Answers ]

I owe a credit card company and the company has turned my account over to a law firm for collection. I have made a $25.00 payment to the law firm in each of the last three months. I sent them postal money orders. The law firm has now filed suit against me even though I made the monthly payments....

Need to Settle Charged off credit card. [ 3 Answers ]

Ok a little about my situation, I once upon a time had a visa credit card with Providian National Bank, But due to some unforeseen circumstances I could not pay the card payments. I had to choose between the credit card payment and my home so I neglected the visa payments. This is something...

View more questions Search