Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    itsme2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2011, 08:03 PM
    Charged with theft under 5000 ontario can you leave the counrty?
    I am 23 years old and charged with theft under 5000 but I have not been to court yet. I am leaving for a trip to vegas before my court date. Will I be able to cross the border with this pending charge?
    River2011 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2011, 06:45 AM

You should not have a problem leaving the country or returning, though US authorities may question you about the charge if they run your name and see you've fingerprinted. If US authorities ask you if you've ever been arrested you must answer honestly!

Police will likely allow you to change the fingerprinting date if you explain your problem. Yes, be honest!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 14, 2011, 06:58 AM

First what is everyone's confusion of Fingerprinting, 10's of thousands of people are fingerprinted and added to the records each year ( or month perhaps) A finger print is merely done to prove or check the ID of someone. It is a record that will show the name you used at that time when you were fingerprinted, You have to be fingerprinted in the US to have a pistol permit, to work with kids at most schools, to work for the boy scouts, to work with kids at many churches. You have to be fingerprinted for many job application.

A fingerprint file is nothing more than a record of ID.

Then, and only then when a fingerprint matches one or more ID ( remember bad guys often give fake names when being fingerprinted) so they may have five or six names in the system with their same fingerprint associated, but when they get printed, their name and ID is then matched to a criminal history data base ( which by the way does not say when you were last fingerprinted) it merely says when you were arrested, for what charges and what the result of the court action was.

Next no it should not hurt your travel to the US.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Charged with Mischief Under $5000 in Ontario, Can I Leave the Country? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a 21 year old Ontario resident. My school has had a prank war with another University for many years. Long story short I was caught spray-painting part of a building, caught by the police and given a date for prints and a trial (Both in January). Question 1: I planned a trip for new years...

Charged in Ontario with Fraud(5counts) under 5000 [ 3 Answers ]

Me and friend are charged with Fraud(5counts) under 5000. We are both guilty of it. Friend was employee of the compny where Fraud occurred. None of us has any criminal record before and never been involved with police. We are both ashamed of our deed. Our first appearance in court is in first week...

I am 19 and got charged for theft under 5000 what will I get? [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, I work at walmart and the store right beside it sells healthy lunchs and I was going there every single day and buying lunch, when one day I was so tired and out of it because I am actually going to university to be a personal trainer and my mind and body was just so tired that I zoned...

Charged with theft under 5000 in ontario [ 1 Answers ]

I was just charged for theft under 5000 by an emplyer in ontario. Wonder what I can do! I am an adult have no previous dealings with the police. Already talked to the police and have a court date. They also have video tapes. Please let me know how what I can do? Thank you

View more questions Search