Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trafreeman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2011, 10:00 PM
    How to cope with the pain of a mothers rejection even after you reach adulthood?
    My mother has always seemed to dislike me. I am her only girl child but she makes me feel awful in front of everyone at family affirs like I am a problem when she actually do things to hurt my feeling or says things and when I cry or pout she say "there she goes again. I have 3 brothers 2 who are older and 1 who is younger. The youngest has cancer and she put all of my brothers pictures up and claim she could not find one of me. That hurt so bad. I don't know how to handle it. What can I do to make the pain go away?

Only Sister and Alone
    sharper11 Posts: 369, Reputation: 102

May 25, 2011, 01:23 PM
    I am sorry that you are feeling this way. It hurts when you feel abandoned by family. Take it from me though, you cannot change or fix your mother. My suggestion (a suggestion given to me by a therapist) realize that you can not fix the situation and try not to dwell on it.

The best thing you can do (and it seems as though you have to some extent) is talk to your mother. I doubt this will do any good (it didn't for me). But, I know that there is a love for me from my mother, even if it is small. And I love her, she's my mom. But that doesn't mean we have to have a great relationship, or talk on the phone or really be in each others life.

I've pulled back a great deal from my mom, but still stop by to say hi, or mow her lawn, but never pushing it too far with emotional involvement.

It's pretty tough to get through at first, but I have become quite content. I hope you can work it out. It wouldn't hurt sitting with a therapist to talk it over. It helps to have an outsider listen in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How To Cope With Rejection by 20 year old son [ 13 Answers ]

Hi I have five children and two are still under ten and fine and the oldest twenty five years is fine too. My problem came when my adopted daughter reached teen years and basically became really difficult with a personality disorder verging on psychopathy. We became estranged and it got so bad I...

Making friends in adulthood [ 6 Answers ]

What are good ways to form new bonds in adulthood. What should you do when you out grow childhood friends? By adulthood most people have their set of friends and may not be open for new best friends. But happens when you "break up" with your best friends?

How do my boyfriend and I cope with his mothers death? [ 3 Answers ]

Okay so I have been dating this guy for the past 3months and were still in high school and his mom just past away on October 15, 2009. &&i was at the hospital with him and everything. He cried in my arms and I didn't know what to do. This has never happened to me before. &&i knew his mom but we...

Jesus' childhood through adulthood [ 15 Answers ]

Why doesn't the bible include the early life of Jesus.. obviously he was going to be important from the get go... Virgin Mary getting pregnant... the 3 wise men.. where did all these stories go?what about Jesus' brothers and sisters.. what happened to them?any answers?

View more questions Search