Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    traceymidel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2011, 01:49 PM
    A company sent me 2 postal money orders ad need to fibd out if compay exists
    Company Name is MemoryTen tax id number is 20-1030216 and they want me to cash the money orders and send 1980.00 to a Yvonne Nicholas at 5085 Westheimer Rd Houston Texas 77056 is this real
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 10, 2011, 01:51 PM
    This sounds like a very typical scam. How did all of this come about? Did you advertise something for sale and they are giving you more than the purchase price and asking you to send the overpayment to someone? Or are they a company from outside the US asking you to cash orders and then keep a portion as payment?

Both of those are famous scams.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 10, 2011, 01:57 PM
    Scam, scam, scam
    bkdaniels Posts: 140, Reputation: 12

May 10, 2011, 04:09 PM
    Yes this is a scam. Destroy the check and appeal to it no more.

It has been my experience that any "legitimate business" will not send money to one individual to send to another. These checks almost always cash, but return in a week or so insufficient funds. All the victim (the person cashing the check) is forced to repay the money and in many cases, be prosecuted for fraud. However, the only happy person is the person receiving the cash. You gave it to them legitimately and they do not have to give it back. And if you do the math, that leaves you repaying the entire amount of the check plus, the 1980.00 you sent to Yvonne Nicholas.

Hope this answers your question!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 10, 2011, 05:00 PM
    Sadly, anyone with a computer, a printer, and maybe some not very fancy software can print fake checks, money orders, and cashier checks. What's surprising is all the people who don't think of that when it should be intuitive.

Don't let GREED get the better of you.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 10, 2011, 06:38 PM

What kind of money orders are they? From a bank or postoffice? If they were issued as post office then take it to them along with the letter and they can back track it. If its fraud (most likely) then then can press federal charges. Do Not send any money or items unsolicited.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 10, 2011, 06:56 PM

Of course this is a scam and if you do it, when the money orders turn out to be frauds or stolen, then you have to repay the bank or you will be in legal trouble. This is one of the older scams out there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is postal identification card issued by POSTAL DEPARTMENT OF INDIA , is it an govt.ID [ 0 Answers ]

Is postal identification card issued by POSTAL DEPARTMENT OF INDIA , is it a legal or valid ID card as indian citizen ? Especially in domestic air travel in india ? Is it accepted by government of india and other government bodies ?

Refund on postal money order. [ 1 Answers ]

I recently sent an international postal money order to Canada to purchase a product. How long a time should I wait without receiving the product before I get a refund for the money order ?

Fake Money Orders [ 2 Answers ]

I was just wondering what would happen if someone unkowingly cashed a fake money order? Will the person who tries to cash it be in trouble even if they didn't know? :confused:

Money orders [ 1 Answers ]

I 'm filing for bankrupsy in couple of months and just gave the attorney a retainer. I work in a cash business but I am not making ends meet. Could I get in trouble for having a friend to send me a money order (not a loan) to help me out? I'm cashing but not depositing the money order.

View more questions Search