Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kozak65 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2011, 01:23 PM
    Air conditioning compressor fan won't turn on. Compressor hums
    Fan is now turning after I nudged it with a screwdriver. However, air is not cooling.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2011, 07:31 PM

Likely a failed dual capacitor. The compressor may not be running. The pic shows a failed capacitor on the left, a good one on the right.
    Attached Images

kozak65 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2011, 10:41 PM
    Comment on KC13's post
    Thank you for confirming this. Two questions remain: is there something I need to investigate regarding the cause or is typical for a 7-8 year old system in the hot south? And what is the easiest way to get a replacement part? The part is made by ge and looks almost exactly like the ones in the photos but I don't know which numbers are the part or model numbers.

KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2011, 03:31 AM

The replacement brand doesn't matter, and the actual part # will vary from brand to brand. Match the replacement to the ratings of the voltage (370 is most common, 440 would be more reliable) and capacitance (#'s followed by "UF"). Try to stick with the same shape (round or oval) for ease of installation, and make sure the wires are connected to the proper terminals (they are marked "FAN", "HERM", & "C"). Disconnect power to the unit before touching anything inside the control compartment. Failure of the existing capacitor may be the result of a line voltage disturbance that occurred while the unit was running, and does not necessarily indicate a problem with the unit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My air conditioner compressor and outdoor fan does not turn on. No Cold air [ 4 Answers ]

I turn my central air conditioner on and I get nothing. Everything is dead. I finally realize that the 3 amp fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse and turn on the air and the fuse gets blown again. I replaced the fuse and this time I turn the heat on. Everything works great. Fuse did not get blown...

My fan and compressor turn on but there is no cool air blowing out of the vents. [ 1 Answers ]

The fan and compressor both run, but there is no cool air blowing out of the vents. I have checked the breakers and changed the air filter. Any more suggestions?

Heat pump outdoor fan runs not compressor voltage at compressor good. New compressor [ 1 Answers ]

Have a new compressor. Just replaced fan runs compressor does not, have voltage at the compressor plug? What could stop from coming on high side and low side equal at 100psig.

Air conditioning compressor fan won't turn off [ 1 Answers ]

The compressor motor and fan on my outside ac system will not turn off. I have tried switching my thermostat to heat, raising the temperature turning my thermostst to off... the blower inside the ouse will go off but the compressor fan outside stays on. The only way I can turn it off is to flip the...

Amana air conditioning compressor fan runs but compressor does not [ 9 Answers ]

I have an Amana Model RCE30A2B Compressor unit installed it is about 6 years old, the compressor will not cut in when demanded yet the cooling fan for the unit does

View more questions Search