Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    misscblake Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2011, 08:42 AM
    Is it normal for water to be discolored after turning the water valve off?
    We had a leak in our kitchen and we turned the main water supply off to fix it, afterwards we had very low water pressure in only the kitchen sink. So we turned off the supply valve to kitchen sink to see if when we turned it back on the pressure would return to normal. It did not and the water was kind of black when it returned. Is this normal. Is the water safe to drink?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 10, 2011, 09:13 AM
    The water should be safe as long as it returned to clear, and the low pressure is probably sediment clogging the strainer on the faucet, which you can remove.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 10, 2011, 03:05 PM
    When you shut down the main line and then open it up, the air bubbles and turbulence in the line generate settled silt. Clean out the faucet aerators and run the water for a few minutes. Should be OK. This happens to me every time I change the whole house filter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No water after turning water off to install water heater [ 1 Answers ]

I turned the water off so a new hot water heater could be installed when i went to turn it back on i think i turned the water to the meter and the water valve after the meter as well now i have no water we tried turne each and the water meter is of course not moving either. Any ideas its...

Why is there so much water on bathroom floor despite turning valve off behind toilet? [ 2 Answers ]

I noticed that water was dripping out from the handle of the toilet in a bathroom in my house. I turned off the valve below the toilet and noticed that the ball in the tank was not floating properly because it had a hole in it near the base where it connects to the rod. This obviously caused the...

Dripping behind wall? Drips heard AFTER turning off main water valve! [ 2 Answers ]

I hear dripping behind the toilet and shower wall upstairs in my bathroom and just below in my kitchen -- all the time! There is no relationship to rain or running water. I turned off the water to my toilet, no change. Then, I turned off the main water valve to the whole house, STILL no change. I...

No cold water after turning valve back on [ 2 Answers ]

We just installed a new kitchen sink and faucet. The water has been off for about 2 weeks while we worked on the floor and cabinets. Today we turned the water back on, and there is no water coming out of the cold line below the sink. The valve seems to be opening fine, and the second shut off...

View more questions Search