Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carol51 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2011, 02:28 PM
    Can a Landlord remove appliances from occupied unit without an eviction notice?
    Tenant is 9 days late on rent, no eviction notice received from landlord, can landlord remove appliances in unit without an eviction notice?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 9, 2011, 02:43 PM
    No.

By "appliances", do you mean range, refrigerator, etc. (those items owned by the LL)? That would constitute unlawful ouster on the part of the LL, and there are specific penalties against the LL for doing so, under most LL/tenant acts.

Or, if these were your appliances, you could call the police and acuse the LL of theft.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 9, 2011, 03:34 PM

A landlord cannot affect the habitability of a unit in revenge for non payment. So even with an eviction notice the landlord cannot remove fixtures.
    bkdaniels Posts: 140, Reputation: 12

May 9, 2011, 03:43 PM
    If the eviction process has not began, I wouldn't be surprised if the landlord didn't get away with it. You will have to look at your lease. Sometimes, the language in the lease suggests the "appliances are on loan and not part of the lease." Because the eviction process has not been started, your best alternative to is begin building a case of harassment - against your landlord.

As a landlord, he or she should be more concern about getting tenants out rather than appliances. However, he might assume that by removing the appliances you will move. The landlord is not able to do anything else, such as change the locks, without an eviction notice from the Sheriff. Therefore, my advice to you would be to remain calm and do not be intimidated by the actions. He may just be upset that he cannot do anything else.

If you plan on building a harassment cases against your landlord, it may not be worth the trouble. Your landlord can easily say that he was just exchanging or replacing them and make the judge think you paniced. In other words, there is insufficient evidence against him for harassment. As long as you pay applicable late fees, the landlord cannot evict you just because you are late. Later, however, you may be able to file a "wrongful eviction suite against him.

Hope this answers your question!
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

May 9, 2011, 03:58 PM
    If the landlord removes appliances and doesn't replace them within a reasonable period (definitely not longer than a few days to a week) then this is considered a "constructive eviction" and is illegal regardless of whether rent has been paid.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 9, 2011, 04:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bkdaniels View Post
    ... he might assume that by removing the appliances you will move. The landlord is not able to do anything else, such as change the locks, without an eviction notice from the Sheriff. ... he may just be upset that he cannot do anything else. ...
    Wrong.

The LL isn't permitted to do what he has done (remove appliances), let alone "anything else".
    And, by the way, whatever you mean "eviction notice" (notice to quit or summons of a court action for eviction), it doesn't necessarily have to be served by the sheriff.

Quote Originally Posted by bkdaniels View Post
    ... If you plan on building a harassment cases against your landlord, it may not be worth the trouble. Your landlord can easily say that he was just exchanging or replacing them and make the judge think you paniced. In other words, there is insufficient evidence against him for harassment. As long as you pay applicable late fees, the landlord cannot evict you just because you are late. Later, however, you may be able to file a "wrongful eviction suite against him.
    Wrong again.

A wrongful ouster by a landlord (evidently what you mean by "harassment") is clearly evidenced by a removal of the appliances. If the LL later claims that he was replacing the appliances, he had better have given the tenant notice of doing so. He cannot enter the premises without prior notice. And he cannot "replace" the appliances either without telling the tenant.

Landlords can and do evict tenants because they are late with the rent. But they have to do it according to law.

And it's "suit", not "suite".

Incorrect.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 9, 2011, 05:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by carol51 View Post
    Tenant is 9 days late on rent, no eviction notice received from landlord, can landlord remove appliances in unit without an eviction notice?
    Hello carol:

If your landlord DID that, write him a certified letter demanding he replace the appliance within 72 hours or you'll commence a wrongful eviction lawsuit.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 9, 2011, 06:22 PM

As noted by everyone except the person with no idea, the landlord can not do that, and if he does not bring them back, the renter can sue the landlord. And this may even in some courts go against the landlord who may be required to give the renter more time before they move out

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord showing apartment while occupied [ 10 Answers ]

Does anyone know if it is legal for a landlord to show an apartment while it is still occupied. I have satisfied my lease and am moving in 30 days. She keeps giving my telephone number to people who are calling me wanting to view. I told her to stop so now she is going to just show the place...

Is it legal for a landlord to show an apartment that is still occupied in New Jersey [ 3 Answers ]

Can a landlord show my place while I am still here. I have given notice that I am moving out so I know they want to get someone in as soon as possible but I just want to know my rights. I live in New Jersey

Landlord provided 60 day eviction notice, now no rent received. Court case pending. [ 2 Answers ]

At the end of March, I provided a 60 eviction notice to one of my tenants (per the terms of the lease), informing her that I was not continuing her tenancy after it expired on 5/30/08 Now, she hasn’t paid rent since April. She's being evicted due to what I believe is her paranoid schizophrenia....

Showing an occupied unit to prospective tenant w/24 hr notice [ 1 Answers ]

In NYS does a landlord have a right to show an occupied unit to a prospective tenant if he received a notice to vacate from the current tenant and provides the current tenant with at least 24 hour notice?

Kentucky eviction/received 7 day notice from landlord [ 3 Answers ]

How long does it take to be physically put out by the sheriff after going to eviction court in Louisville Kentucky?

View more questions Search