Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aretobe Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2011, 02:06 PM
    So who is right in this argument?
    My co-worker came up to me on Sunday and asked me "did the boss say anything about the time table". I said "no" and then he said something like "its changed". He then took out the timetable and showed how it would change to switch our hours because he wanted a day off. I thought that he had to get that day off for a dentist appointment or something improtant. The next day I asked by boss "what's the story with the time table, did it change?". He repplies with something like "oh, did he ask you to work thoes days for him already". So told the boss that he didn't ask me, he told me the time table was changed.

Later on when we were alone I asked my co-worker what did the boss say to you about the time table being changed, and he told me the boss said something like "oh that's fine, just check with john(made up name for me)". So I told him(my co-worker) "then why did you tell me the time table was change like i had no choice". He repplied "i didn't! i asked you!!". He started to get real defensive it was time for my lunch break so I told him that I won't switch hours with him and went into the changing room. He followed me into the changing room and continues to argue his point with a raised vioce and pointing his finger at me. He said that him showing me how the timetable was changed to switch our hours was him asking me to switch hours with him. He also said "shur what were you going to do anyway. did you have plans" and I repplied "no, but that's not the point". I usually relax on my days off and he knows that.

I told him "i don't like to be told what to do and you said it like i don't have a choice.".he is my co-worker so he really doesn't have any right to tell me what to do and I've been there for 5 years. He's been there for about 8years. I kept calm and cool cause I don't like fighting and am more of the cowardly type that'd usually cave under preasure. So eventually I asked him "are you asking me to switch days for you then". With his hands down by his sides and his palms facing me as if to say "what the hell" he said "YES!". I didn't like his attitude but I wanted to get rid of him and the bitterness he'd show afterwards so I repplied "alright then". But he didn't leave it at that and he wanted to argue his point further to make me back down. I don't know if he actually believed what he was saying but it seemed that way. So after some more abuse and him pointing his finger at me I eventually said "no, i'm not working that day for you". Then he said its give and take and that if I wanted a certain day off he wouldn't work it to cover for me. Then he walked off.

I suppose that's OK since in the five years I've worked there I've only asked for time off at the last second once and I've booked only 4 other times off. And after all this there wouldn't have been any problem if he had just asked me to switch days with him normally. I always cover for people if they ask.

What I want to know though is if he actually believed what he was saying and thinking he was right.
    And who do you guys think is right? Yes... this is for my re-assurance. I discussed it with a family member and they're on my side of course but I want a strangers point of view on it.

May 9, 2011, 03:09 PM
    I asked this same question, word for word, in Yahoo answers but my question got deleted for being in breach of the community guidelines. Why?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 9, 2011, 06:54 PM

Because someone reported your question in Yahoo, they deleted first and never ask questions second. Yahoo answers is not a real and good place to get answers, people there answer normally as to what the person wants to hear, When you start giving good and real answers, ( esp if they have any moral value) they delete and ban the people who answer.

The other person did not ( from your side of the story) come to you honestly and open. He should have tallked to you first before he even talked to the bosses. If someone went behind my back and did not talk to me first about a change, I would not really want to do it

May 9, 2011, 07:16 PM
    He talked to the boss to see who the boss would want to cover for him. It could be any one of three guys depending on how the timetable was made out. He didn't ask the boss for the time off, he asked the boss who could he ask to cover for him.

My problem with him is that he told me that the timetable was changed. He was supposed to ask me.

Lol, yes this story is from my point of view. You only have my word that I didn't add, change details or leave things out. I won't be saying any of this stuff to anyone at work besides thoes who already know(co-worker and boss). But if that co-worker spreads his biased side of the story I'll exercise my right to defend myself and give my side of the story as long as their willing to listen.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 9, 2011, 07:30 PM

My issue would be that the other worker did not ask you, and tried to let you think it was just changed.

If asked I will go out of my way for co workers, if one tries to get over on me, I will go out of my way not to be helpful

May 9, 2011, 08:24 PM
    @Fr Chuck I see your answers all over this site. Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I've actually been seriously thinking of leaving this job for a long time and this might just speed things up. I'll be sure to be professional about everything though since I might need the boss to give a good word for me in the next job. I've a been professional about things so far for my own sake.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To settle an argument [ 6 Answers ]

Does the royal naval college in Dartmouth count as a ship, what do you think? I say no because it is a brick building and it does and cannot be sailed or float on water. Its on a hill. My friend says yes, because it is listed as a ship 'the HMS Dartmouth' in the royal navy it is permantly...

Hatred and argument [ 14 Answers ]

I love to argue. :D I don't understand why but I love being angry at someone! Everyone tells me I'm a nice person and I'm so popular and no one talks about me behind my back, but the only reason I'm nice, is so people don't think I'm horrible, I'm charitable for selfish reasons. I posted before...

Building an argument [ 1 Answers ]

When building an argument is it more important to be valid or sound

Unsound argument and invalid argument [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between an unsound argument and an invalid argument? Give an example of each. When you are building an argument for an issue that is significant to you, do you think it is more important to be sound or valid? Why?

View more questions Search