Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bono51 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2011, 11:58 AM
    Japanese Maple and Helicopters
    I just had a red Japanese Maple planted near my pool. The landscaper says this tree will not have helicopters. I took out a crab apple tree due to the flowering, crabapples and it was dying of apple scab and constently impacting the pool. I did not want a tree that had anything but fall leaves that would get into the pool. Can someone verify this independently of my nursery?
    GZDZ Posts: 139, Reputation: 18

May 10, 2011, 05:57 AM
    What's the name of the maple? The larger maples, such as "Bloodgood" will have helicopters. If it's over hanging your pool I'll assume it's a larger variety.
    bono51 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2011, 09:16 AM
    It is only about 7 foot tall now an d5 foot diameter. It is a bloodgood. Will these helicopters fall in the fall. How abundant will they be. I love the tree but don't want to deal with a summer mess like my crab apple tree was.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 10, 2011, 03:16 PM

Sorry but you are getting what you did not want. Japanese Maple (Acer Palmatum) Seeds
    GZDZ Posts: 139, Reputation: 18

May 10, 2011, 04:22 PM
    It will drop them in the fall. However, unlike the crab apple, there is no mess during the summer. I had an old crab apple in my yard 30 years ago. I took it down the first year, it was like some dumped applesauce all over the yard when the fruit would fall and rot. One note, it had a show of double white flowers that could not be duplicated. That was awesome, but not worth the mess.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sprout from Japanese Maple to regrow new tree? [ 5 Answers ]

There is a Japanese Maple in our family graveyard. My question is.......Is there any way to take a sprout from the tree and eventually replant that to make another tree? I have noticed that it has a couple of small sprouts or branches coming out of the ground next to the tree and I didn't know if...

Preserving maple tree 'helicopters' [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know a way to preserve the 'helicopters' so that they stay green? I've tried nail polish and waxpaper but neither works (the helicopters turn brown). I'd appreciate any ideas.

Can I plant a japanese maple right next to the house [ 4 Answers ]

Are there any reasons against planting the tree right next to my house? My next to, I mean about 3 feet from the outside wall. I would try to get one of the smaller varieties, but someone said that I might need to worry about the root structure damaging the foundation. Anyone?

View more questions Search