Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    taspicer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2011, 07:35 PM
    Help.. My 3 year old Payne Heat Pump is not working
    I have a 3 year old Payne heat pump that is a dual stage heat pump. The Ac is working just fine and the aux heat is working but the regular heat is not working at all. You can hear the click at the thermostat and the click at the outside unit when you cut the thermostat to heat but the outside unit is not cutting on at all... Backing up the Air Handler had a blown fuse and when we replaced the blown fuse the AC and the aux heat are working but the outside unit is not working when we cut the heat on... Don't want to use the Aux heat constantly since that will burn out the coils and run up my power bill so would like to get any ideas on what could be the problem with the regular heat...
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2011, 07:45 PM

Are you certain that the outdoor unit runs in the cooling mode? If so, the problem is most likely in the thermostat. Try this: turn off power to the indoor unit and remove thermostat. Remove the wires connected to the "R", "G", & "Y1" terminals and connect them together. Now restore power to the indoor unit. The indoor blower should turn on, as well as the outdoor unit in the low-stage heating mode. If successful, repeat this process with the addition of the "Y2" wire in the mix. This should bring on the indoor blower & high-stage heating mode. If successful, the thermostat is bad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat Pump - Payne [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I sent a request to Carrier regarding my question but they want to send a service rep. instead of answering my question. I have a one year old heat pump that was added to my medium efficiency furnace. I live in Canada, West Coast, and the heat pump will now not continually provide cool air. It...

Heat Pump not working... Payne Model PH10JA030-E [ 1 Answers ]

My heat pump had been running for approx 2 weeks, when I arrived home one evening to find that it was cold in the house. The thermostat display was off (no batteries in this one). Thermostat replaced and heat pump still not working. Fuse was blown. Once fuse was replaced, heat came on and ran...

We have a 2 year old rudd heat pump and the outside fan isn't working [ 0 Answers ]

Our inside unit runs but the fan outside isn't turning. Also of course the house warms up when the auxiliary heat is turned on. Our HVAC guy said it may have been tripped, but my husband looked on the exterior unit and doesn't see a reset switch or fuse?

6 year old Payne Heat Pump compressor failed [ 1 Answers ]

The compressor on my 6 year old Payne Heat pump failed. The HVAC guy offered 3 solutions. 1. replace compressor - cost $1100 -$1300 2. replace whole outside unit - cost $2500 3. replace everything with new, more efficient unit cost: $7k+ It is Payne model PH10 2.5 ton R22. HVAC guy...

Payne heat pump -- will not run [ 2 Answers ]

Help! My problem started with the compressor not running with the heat switch on. I checked the thermostat wiring and found that the tstat was not wired per the manual for a heat pump with aux heat. I fixed that problem and the unit would run but not blow warm air. I called out a technician and...

View more questions Search