Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PRISM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 08:10 PM
    New house settle, wall moved 5/8" so far?
    I purchased a new house from a builder that is now 5 months old.
    The exterior wall that my kitchen cabinets are connected to has now
    Bowed outward so that my countertop is now over 5/8" away from the wall.
    There is also a large crack in the corner where the bowed wall and the
    perpendicular wall meet that is also growing. I occasionally here large cracking
    sounds.
    The Builder claims that the house is settling and is waiting till year end (august) to fix.
    claiming that it will settle more. If it has moved this much in 5m what am I to expect in another 7m?

From I understand, a House should settle with MINOR cracking not exceeding 1/8".

The wall was straight when I moved in.

Is this normal?

Thanks,

Stephen
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 25, 2007, 08:26 PM
    I would say no this is not normal, You need to get another contractor and perhaps the building inspector to come out and get some professional opinoin on what is going on.

While I am not personally involved in our family business ( we own a contracting company that builds new houses) so it is my sons that are the experts in that, I would not expect to see that much difference, have you checked your foundation for movement ?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jan 25, 2007, 08:38 PM
    Normal settlement produces nail pops and cracks up to 1/8". Normal settlement does NOT produce bowed walls.

Was the house built very fast? It's possible that the builder did not let the lumber sit long enough to season. As a result some of the studs may be starting to bow and causing your problem. I suggest that you get your builder over to look at the house asap because it will certainly not get better.
    MrBill Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 10:10 PM
    Does this house have a basement? If so does it have block or poured walls?
    Nwptsailor Posts: 56, Reputation: 4

Jan 26, 2007, 11:09 AM
    It is not normal to settle that much that fast and past settling does not necessarily mean it will continue either. Although at this rate it sounds as if there is more to go.

The last comment was right , was is the structure? What are the details? Is there any way you can get a few digital pictures and email them.
    That way we can give specific advice.
    This problem can usually be fixed relatively easily if you know how.
    jujubrose Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2007, 09:28 PM
    Get a lawyer quick and move out house will fall down. Deal with it from another home hate to hear about you dying because the house was built without enough framing.

Walls do not bow out for no reason. Either the plate was not attached to the slab and the wall is now sliding outward or not enough support in the walls I would guess this is a 2 story home. Walls do not just bow out

Be careful Julie
    chullyman Posts: 10, Reputation: 4

Feb 25, 2007, 12:51 PM
    Do you have a french drain around the house? Is the house built on fill ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Appliance hook-up "wall unit" [ 1 Answers ]

I have heard of a new product that is used for washer/dryer installation. It is a concave "wall" that replaces drywall. The "wall" has appropriate hook-ups for the washer and dryer venting. Purpose of the wall is to make appliances sit closer to the exterior wall, make installation easier and...

Song lyric began "Got a House on a hill" 70's [ 2 Answers ]

:( There was a song that I believe was sung by Carole King. It was in the early 70's 73? 74? The first lyric was "Got a house on a hill and it's constantly filled....". Anyway,I can't find it on any Carole King lyric site. Maybe she didn't do it. Can anyone help?

Moved to a house & now scared HELP [ 19 Answers ]

We bought a 7yr. Old house about a 2mths. Ago. The 1st few nights we stayed here there was no air, so we stayed in the downstairs bedroom that was to be my 14yr sons room.(its half under ground). He was in FL. I had horrible nightmares, I put a cross & a picture of Jesus,1 of my Bibles in...

"puppy mill" dog peeing in house [ 6 Answers ]

We have 2 cairns that we bought at petstores. The youngest I know was from a puppy mill. She is now 2 yrs old. She pees and poops outside on demand. She rarely has accidents in her crate (usually only a little pee when excited). But, if she needs to pee and she's in the house, she just does. ...

View more questions Search