Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PrttyBrownEyez21 Posts: 121, Reputation: 2

May 7, 2011, 12:44 PM
    Which are better,dorms or apartments?
    I'm graduating from my community college next week and then I will be transferring to a four year school.I'm trying to decide between a dorm or an apartment and they are both on campus. I initially wanted an apartment by myself but a lot of people have said that you meet a lot of lifetime friends in dorms and that you should live in a dorm for one year. I'm already going to be a junior since I'm transferring but since I'm not familiar with anybody who goes there I'm having trouble deciding. Any ideas,anybody?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 7, 2011, 01:32 PM

I think you can argue this in both directions. Would you have a single room, roommates?

May 7, 2011, 01:49 PM
    I feel like I should have a roommate for the first year since it will be my first time going to school down there and then next year when I'm a senior I will most likely feel more at home because I will have already met people from the previous year.If I live alone then I kind of feel like I will be limiting my options of meeting people
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 7, 2011, 02:13 PM

Since my college had run out of dorm space, they put sophomores off-campus into the homes of willing townspeople. I hated it and felt like I was always out of the loop. Being back in an on-campus dorm during junior and senior years was like Christmas.

I will always happily remember living in college dorms. When I was in college in the early '60s, the bathroom was at the end of the hall, but now dorm rooms often have their own bathroom or share one with another room. We'd study together or watch TV together or be goofy together, commiserated together when someone broke up with a boyfriend or failed an exam. There was a kitchen in the dorm basement, so on weekends we would bake stuff for ourselves and our boyfriends. Yes, great memories!

Nowadays, there are coed dorms, or dorms with one floor male and one floor female, so check into that too as something to embrace -- or avoid.

Check with the campus life office as to who usually lives where.
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

May 7, 2011, 08:37 PM

I'm actually currently making the same decision. I'm transferring to a 4-year college. For me, I find that living in an apartment will probably be better because usually underclassmen live in the dorms. Not that I don't like underclassmen, but I would preffer to live with people who are in the same year as me and I think the dorms will make me feel like I just started college for the first time. Also, I'm not guaranteed housing as a transfer student which is a common thing for universities. The school I'm transferring to has listings for apartments and a roommate search tool and it seems like most people who live in the apartments fill in rooms as people leave and don't always live with the people they already know.

I think that if you could find roomates to live in an apartment with, you will still have a good experience and not have to be alone. Check with your school to see if they a search tool for apartments or listings for people who need roomates. Either way, living in a dorm could still be a good thing because you can still meet new people.

May 9, 2011, 08:34 AM
    Comment on XOXOlove's post
    Yea I'm transferring to a four year college too, but I will be going is an a junior. Under housing for dorms, it was split between freshman housing and then sophomore/upperclassman dorms.So there's no guarantee that I would be living with people who are juniors like I am. The apartments I was looking at were on campus too, but I feel like with dorms you would have more rules.Which are you leaning more towards,the apartments?

May 9, 2011, 08:36 AM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    For me the only downside that I'm apprehensive about is that for the dorms, it's split between freshman and then sophomore/ upperclassman,so that means I could rooming with a sophomore, not that I have anything against that,I would just prefer someone who is a junior like I will be. I also feel like there would be more rules for dorms since you will have a R.A. vs living in an apartment on campus
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

May 9, 2011, 10:17 AM

I think the apartments at my school have the same rules as the dorms. I'm leaning toward the apartments, but that's if I find a roommate that has a room in an their apartment that is available because I don't know anyone there.

I don't know if I explained correctly, but I meant that I'm not gurunteed a place a dorm at all because I'm a junior. They have a lottery process for upperclassmen so you either get housing or you don't. It's like that for a lot of colleges.

I actually wouldn't really mind living with a freshman or sophomore. I just think it would feel like I just got out of high school and started college. Plus dorms are small and the bathrooms are down the hall so I would rather live in an apartment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Apartments in Charlotte, NC [ 0 Answers ]

I'm looking around in Charlotte North Carolina for a 1 bedroom apartment to rent. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a place to live. I would like to stay near the city also. I don't want to go over $1,000. Thanks!

History of apartments? [ 1 Answers ]

My apartment building was built in 1924 and I hear and see things

Pets and apartments [ 2 Answers ]

We moved into this apartment complex about 4 months ago. We were honest about what kind of dog we have she is a small boxer. We paid the deposit that they wanted. The problem is now they say she is too big. They have known a along what kind of dog we have. She has never caused damage and she is...

Apartments [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I have been working on lowering our bills. Mine got paid off but he still has about 6,000 left. We absolutely HAVE to get an apartment in June and we are afraid we could only get 2,000 or 3,000 paid off by then. Our credit scores are in the low 600's. Does anyone know the...

View more questions Search