Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jon407 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2011, 06:52 AM
    Cutting off metal ring around toilet flange
    As you can see from the attached picture, I'm trying to remove/cut off the metal flange that the bolts fit into that holds the toilet in place. Needless to say it had leaked and was rusted. What can I use to cut the metal ring off and how do I get under the plastic piece w/o cutting into it. Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 7, 2011, 07:52 AM

Hi Jon...

A simple pair of aviation tin snips should do the job for you. Here, that metal ring is kind of pliable and if you take a pair of water pump pliers and bend the metal up a bit then the metal should pull away enough from the flange that you can get the tin snips in place and cut the ring off. Then you can remove the old ring and replace it with a new BIVALVE type repair ring, if possible... slides in to the groove of the old flange and makes for a really nice repair.

I can also think of a couple other options here and if you want to discuss them let me know, but it looks like you are approaching this in the best manner possible, so I'd recommend that you continue the way you are and you should be all set here!

Questions? Let me know, OK?

Mark
    Attached Images

jon407 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2012, 07:07 AM
    I know a great deal of time has passed, but I want to thank you for the advice. It worked out very well.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 11, 2012, 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jon407 View Post
    I know a great deal of time has passed, but I want to thank you for the advice. It worked out very well.
    Better late then never Jon. Glad you're all set and thanks for the update. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing old metal toilet flange [ 6 Answers ]

How do I remove or replace a old toilet flange that is attached to a 4" cast iron drain pipe enbedded in a concrete floor?

Issue with metal ring inside the flange that seems to b attached to plastic piping? [ 8 Answers ]

Ok I am a female and my husband is over in Iraq so Im taking on all the house repairs. The toilet was leaking so I was told to replace the wax ring... easy enough. Once I got the toilet off the flange was broken so I had to replace it, again easy enough. Except this has turned into a mess. It was...

Metal toilet flange [ 1 Answers ]

I recently replaced my toilet and found that the metal flange broke. How would I replace the flange and how difficult would the procedure be?

No ring on my toilet flange [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I'm replacing my old toilet in my basement. When I removed the old one I saw that there was no flange collar and the toilet was only held in place by the wax ring. How can I mount my new toilet to the floor with out this collar. I've searched the local hardware stores for a solutions...

Metal toilet flange rusted out [ 2 Answers ]

Can and how do you replace the metal floor flange? The one I have has rusted through and one side of the toilet won't tighted.

View more questions Search