Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    needhelptax Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2011, 11:38 PM
    H1-B holder staying in US for less than 183 days
    What if I'm H1-B visa holder and I stay for less than 183 days in US? Will I get tax exemption?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 7, 2011, 06:39 AM
    Probably not. The tax exemption does NOT apply if the source of your pay is a U.S. company.

However, if you are married, you can file jointly and both of you choose to be treated as resident aliens for the entire year of 2010.

If you need professional tax help with this, email me at [email protected] or [email protected].

May 7, 2011, 11:23 AM
    Actually I work for an Indian IT company. The US bank is the client of my company.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 12, 2011, 10:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by needhelptax View Post
    What if I'm H1-B visa holder and I stay for less than 183 days in US? Will I get tax exemption?
    Your entire income is taxable. You must pay federal income tax as well state income tax. You are resident or non-resident or can choose to file joint return as resident (after you complete SPT in 2011) will depend upon when you entered U.S. and when you left U.S.
    Senior Tax Expert

May 13, 2011, 07:41 AM
    For WHOM you work is not relevant if you are being paid from a U.S. source. Hence, if the U.S. bank is paying you direct, in U.S. dollars (which is likely given that you are under a H-1B visa), then the income is subject to income taxes by both the U.S. government AND the state in which you worked and lived.

However, if the duration of your stay was less than 183 days, your job meets the IRS definition of a "temporary job", and you can claim your daily living expenses (rent and utilities, food, local transportation, incidental costs) by using Form 2106 to report those costs and by deducting them on Schedule A as an itemized deduction.
    Indian CPA Posts: 22, Reputation: 7

May 13, 2011, 09:56 PM

Since you are on an H1B, You are subject to Federal, State and FICA taxes. If you chose to file as a Resident, you will need to include your Income from India during the year. Will have to look at specifics and make a decision whether to file as Resident or Non-Resident.

May 21, 2011, 06:07 PM
    Comment on AtlantaTaxExpert's post
    I'm bit confused here. Though I'm getting paid in US dollars, the salary is being paid to me by my Indian company. The US bank is a client of the Indian service provider company.

May 21, 2011, 08:45 PM
    I'm bit confused here. Though I'm getting paid in US dollars, the salary is being paid to me by my Indian company. The US bank is a client of the Indian service provider company.
    Senior Tax Expert

May 22, 2011, 07:39 AM
    Your H-1B visa status makes the source of the funds irrelevant. You earned the income inside of the U.S. which makes it taxable by the U.S.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Worked for less than 183 days. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I worked for less than 183 days in 2010 but resident of united states (CA) for whole of 2010, am I eligible for full refund? I didn't had any other income.

L1 183 Days, Need to go back if not paying any taxes? I want to stay for 10 more days [ 3 Answers ]

I am in US from 27th Aug 2010 and getting per day expense from my company. This is not as a salary, I am still getting the salary from my same employer in India. With this arrangements, I am not paying any tax to US. If I plan to stay for more than 183 days may be for 10 days more would I or my...

How is 183 days counted [ 1 Answers ]

Are the arrival and the departure days counted as the whole days?

L1 less than 183 days [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I landed on 21 March 2010 in NJ. I am on L1 from India and would be leaving in September. During this period I was paid by a U.S. affliate of my Indian company. Will I get the benefit on the tax for less than 183 days.

Stayed Less than 183 days in NJ on L1 [ 1 Answers ]

I stayed for less than 183 days in NJ on L1. I was in us from mid may 2007 till mid oct 2007. Presently I am in India. Do I need to file 1040 or 1040 NR? Will I be a part resident or Non-Resident for NJ? What is 1040 NR-EZ? Do I need to file it also?

View more questions Search