Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jun 14, 2003, 08:24 AM
    Naturally faster?
    Why do African American dominate the sprinting distances so thoroughly. Better still, why is it wrong to acknowledge that this dominance is based on being naturally faster?
    booteng Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2003, 01:53 PM
    Naturally faster?
    Yo starman,initially blacks are fast & whites are not,as you in the saying,'white man can't jump & black man can't swim'.This is due to human genetics & the environment in which we in. Like you most of the dangerous animals in this world are from Africa.We have lions tigers cheetahs etc here in Afirca.There are many more reseasons, the reseason why African americans progress in the sport is because of the technology.There is way too much technology up there in the states. Africans are naturally fast but African americans are faster because of their advanced technology. Have you ever thought of the fact that African americans come from africa, but africans never seem to make it far especially in the sprints,that's all because of technology.The only african to make it in sprints is Frankie Freddricks & that's because he trains in america.im sorry I had to rush through this but I kind of have a class other wise I would give you more & better reseason why african americans are better.By the way they are not naturally fast, its tech...
    alan3494 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2004, 08:38 PM
    Naturally faster?
    In his book "Taboo: Why Black Athletes Dominate Sports and Why We're Afraid to Talk About It", Jon Entine interviewed scientists who have done research into elite athletes.

The scientists said that people from different parts of the world have differences in their DNA that affect more than skin color. Your muscles are a mixture of fast twitch fibers and slow twitch fibers. Sprinting speed comes from fast twitch, and endurance from slow twitch.

Entine said it has been shown, using the list of Olympic track and field medalists, that a different area of the world produces the best athletes in each event. Not the country of citizenship, but where their ancestors came from. Sprint medalists are from the Caribbean. Distance medalists are from one part of Kenya.

Is it wrong to talk about it? Only if you are a leftist. The scientists in Entine's book have already been insulted by their leftist academic peers for daring to study anything connected with race. Some feel they can't publish their scientific results in academic journals for fear of reprisal. Leftists don't tolerate scientific proof. Leftists believe freedom of speech only applies to themselves.

Cash21 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2004, 10:49 AM
    Naturally faster?
    Alan3494 hit the nail on the nail on the head.

I believe experiments proved africans/african americans produce natural creatine at a higher rate thus helping power and restore fast and slow twitch muscle fibers alike.
    oldcoach Posts: 103, Reputation: 3

Jan 23, 2005, 01:02 PM
    Think athletes not politics
    Simply saying that somebody wins a race because a person is “naturally faster”, in effect, denies the years of time, effort, and sweat that a person invests to attain success. Each person that embarks on any career has an interest in the activity, a certain amount of love for the activity, and some natural ability. Granted, there is some inconclusive DNA research that indicates people from certain regions may have natural abilities toward jumping and running. However, it has been stated that presently, these regions have little or no advantage in running and jumping. The facts are that there are many factors, which affect how a person performs athletically.

Here are just a few of those factors: Training with the right coaches, nutrition, equipment, effort, dedication, years of time investment, desire, and yes, natural ability. I am sure that there are more factors, but my point is made. Natural ability is only one of the many factors that contribute to a person winning a race. It is not even in the top four of the most important factors.

Thus, it would not be wrong to say natural speed was responsible for a certain race’s dominance in sprinting events, if it were true. However, the facts and evidence speak more towards a combination of factors being responsible for dominance. I do not care how much creatine a body produces. If a person has no desire, no dedication, and no training that person will not be successful. Before you dismiss my statements because you believe I am a leftist, liberal let me tell you this: I am definitely not a liberal nor am I a leftist. I am a critical thinker. That means that my opinions are effected by proven knowledge and factual evidence. My opinions are tempered because I understand that I do not know everything and the human race does not know everything. All the evidence and all the studies are far from complete on this issue, but what I have read and experienced so far still points to a many factor theory being true.

What you have done is assumed that the presence of a certain factor is the only thing that affects an outcome. In fact, many factors contribute to the outcome.

One last comment. Saying genetics is the cause of winning gives athletes an excuse to dismiss their own lack of dedication, desire, and work. Instead, why not encourage athletes to work harder and seek the best coaches.

Oldcoach

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need Help Growing Hair Faster [ 18 Answers ]

Does anyone know what I can do to help grow my hair faster? I decided to let someone "MY AUNT" perm my hair and it fell out. My hair use to be down the middle of my back now its to my shoulders. It's really short, I just want my hair back. WHAT SHOULD I DO TO HELP MY HAIR GROW FASTER?

Make hair grow faster [ 5 Answers ]

Hi is there any thing I should eat or pop in to make hair grow faster? I colored my hair and I do not like it but I do not want to color again I just want to grow back my natural hair color

How to make dark hair dye fade faster [ 207 Answers ]

Today I dyed my hair "dark brown" and it came out too dark. I don't want to strip or bleach my hair, I just want to make the color fade a little faster. I've read about several ways to do this and I wanted to know if anyone knew the best method or if any of these really work. Here are the...

Change your cycle naturally? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I just realized that my period will begin right before my vacation in October.. I started a few days early this month (day 5 today, just ending it) so it's better then if I went 28 days.. but nonetheless, I prefer to start it on October 1st to be done with it by the 8th before my weeks vac...

SSI vs PHP - Which is faster (speed benchmark)? [ 1 Answers ]

Does SSI or PHP use less resources to include one file within another file? For example: <?php include 'file.html'; ?> or <!--#include virtual="file.html" -->

View more questions Search