Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    waltermaj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2011, 12:16 PM
    Is it legal for my shareholders withdrawal to be larger than my salary?
    I'm a partner in a S corp. We have recently started withdrawals for shareholders. Though we receive salaries, we are concerned about balance. Is it okay that a shareholders yearly withdrawal be larger than the yearly salary? Does this raise red flags with the IRS?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 12, 2011, 12:22 PM
    That depends on a variety of factors, such as how large are your salaries, how do the salaries match up with the duties performed, etc.

For example, let's assume that a law firm is organized as a S-corporation and has three lawyers (each owning 25% of the shares), with a para-legal who owns 10% of the stock, and three administrative staff who each own 5% of the stock. The firm in the past tax year distributed $800,000 in dividends to the owners based on the percentage of stock owned.

A lawyer could not expect a $20,000 annual salary (while drawing a dividend of $200,000) to go unchallenged by the IRS, because a $20K salary is NOT representative of what a lawyer would make ANYWHERE in the United States.

However, a member of the administrative staff in the same firm who is also owns 5% of the stock COULD draw a $20,000 salary and get a dividend of $40,000 without any scrutiny from the IRS, because a $20K salary for a staff worker COULD be representative of what such staffers would normally earn in that area of the United States.
    Indian CPA Posts: 22, Reputation: 7

May 15, 2011, 06:46 PM

If you are just a Shareholder and have a passive investment, you do not have to withdraw a salary. If the Shareholder is also an officer, the Corporation should pay a reasonable salary. What is reasonable? - is based on what the person could get paid as salary in if employed and paid by another company.

If the shareholders are the only employees, this becomes even more important.

Indian CPA
    Home - Indian CPA

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal hold on bank account BUT I they put a hold on a larger amount than was in there [ 1 Answers ]

A state marshall put a hold on my account because of a judement but the hold was for more than I had in my account what can I do?

Is it legal to fine a salary employee [ 3 Answers ]

I am a salaried employee of a computer consulting firm. My contract states that my salary is fixed, however as such I am required to accomplish 30 billable hours per week, however does not discuss penalties. My company has now enacted a "policy" that states if any customer complains and the...

Legal to cut salary daily? [ 3 Answers ]

I work on average 45 hrs. a week. And am not paid overtime. Just $500/week. I was in a car wreck and out of work for a week. Instead of getting 500, he divided my pay out to 100/day and only gave me 200 for 1 week and 300 the other. Is this legal even though I am not compensated for working 5 and...

What is legal with changes in salary [ 4 Answers ]

Is it legal to change someone's salary to a lessor amount without notice?

Salary termination w/pay dock is it legal [ 4 Answers ]

My names Jacob and my question is. I work 80+ hrs a week that I agreed to in the beginning, with the assurance that more people would be hired as the buis grew. But today I slept in and misses work. I wrote a text message to my boss not my employer stating how I felt about the long hours and that...

View more questions Search