Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peaches38 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2011, 04:06 PM
    Help with wiring my new light fixture!
    I Have a question. I need to know how to wire my new light that has two clear wires to my old one that has a white wire and a black wire?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 5, 2011, 04:21 PM

Look past the clear insulation. Is one of the wires more silver looking and the other more copper looking?

May 5, 2011, 04:43 PM
    Both of them are silver

May 5, 2011, 04:46 PM
    Comment on smoothy's post
    Both of them are silver
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 5, 2011, 05:37 PM

Sounds like it was made in China...

Do you have access to a Digital voltmeter or a continuity tester?

If you do the center conductor of the socket can and should be identified as the hot lead. That would go to the black wire.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 6, 2011, 02:34 AM
    One wire with the clear insulation will be marked with ribs or notches in the insulation, the other will be smooth or have no markings. The marked conductor needs to connect to the white wire in the outlet box, the unmarked to the black.

You will find the marked conductor will connect to the screw shell of the lamp socket.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 6, 2011, 02:39 PM
    Comment on tkrussell's post
    Ya beat me to this one, most people don't know about the ribs and the smooth. Regards, Brian

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old light fixture and old wiring... [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing a light in my kitchen with a hanging light from a friends house. The wiring from the box is the same color (very old house and wiring) but I think I know which is neutral based on which was wired to the white and black on the previous fixture. The hanging light I am putting in has a...

Wiring a new light fixture [ 0 Answers ]

Currently we have under-cabinet lighting. It is installed through an under-cabinet switch, through a transformer. I want to add rope lighting on top of the counter so that it will operate from the switch. How do I hook up the lighting?

Hunter fan wiring model 26107 light fixture wiring sequence [ 2 Answers ]

There are 4 lights Each light has a bnlack and white wire coming from it. The light switch has a bule wire, a red wire and a black wire from the main housing. There is also a white wire coming from the main housing. The fan operates fine I cannot get the lights to go on. What is the wire sequence?

Wiring a light fixture to a 3 way switch [ 4 Answers ]

Am replacing an old light fixture in an upstairs hall that is connected to 3 different switches; one downstairs, one at the far end of the hall and one at the close end of the hall. Coming into the light receptacle box are 3 white wires, 3 black wires, 1 red wire and 3 exposed copper wires. My...

Wiring light fixture [ 1 Answers ]

I have two ceiling lights that are operated by one wall switch. Wall switch-----------------light 1-----------------light 2 Light two is just fine but the wiring from light two to light 1 is confusing me. It has 4 wires. Red, white, black, ground wire. The black wire is the hot. How do...

View more questions Search