Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sle0305 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2011, 03:29 PM
    Door locks
    I rented a house with 2 roommates and decided to leave because one of them was very noisy at night, not clean and not respectful. This roommate was also the landlord. I found someone to rent my room with my roommates agreement so I left a month ago. The landlord finally agreed to give me back my security deposit but after I left the house he decided to change the door locks because 6 months ago I lost my key so he deduced the money from my security deposit. I was wondering if he's allowed to do that without asking me first, especially because 6 months ago we agreed not to change the lock and that I can just duplicate his key.
    Thanks
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 5, 2011, 03:47 PM

Yes, he can do that. A landlord is not required to ask a departing tenant for permission to make repairs before the LL can do the repairs and charge them to the security deposit.

If he then gives you a statement of charges against the deposit in a timely manner, you would have course be entitled to claim that either
    • it wasn't damage but normal wear and tear;
    • you didn't cause the damage; or
    • the cost of repairing the damage was excessive.

In this case, none of those applies.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 5, 2011, 07:15 PM

While I think it is sort of unfair and not a nice thing to do, since it was discussed before, but yes he can.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gmc yukon door locks [ 3 Answers ]

In my 98 yukon I can unlock the doors using the passenger side door switch but not the drivers. I took the switch from the drivers door and was able to use on the passenger side so I know it's not the switch and has to be in the wires. Anybody know the schematics or hot wires or anything I should...

How do I find door locks that fit in the center of a door? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I are in the process of constructing a house. My wife and I would like to have locks that fit in the center of the door than at the side of the door as is conventional. Is there a lock that is manufactured to be located at the door's center rather than at the side?

Power door locks [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2002 honda civic ex I just bought. The passenger door power lock worked ,but the drivers didn't A month later neither work. I hear the relay click under the dash and it sounds faintly like it is trying to open the locks. Fuse are good and I measured 12v on the solenoid plug when I hit the...

2001 excursion door locks [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2001 excursion and the power door locks do not always work, is there an easy fix?

View more questions Search