Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ilovemyhamster Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2011, 11:09 AM
    My hamster is constantly chewing her water bottle and it is keeping me awake
    My hamster (honey) is chewing her water bottle and it is sooooo loud it is keeping me and my family awake at night and recently we have put her cage in the porch so we can get some sleep. But now I worry she will freeze to deathand that keeps me up as well so please help me find a way to make her stop.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 5, 2011, 11:11 AM

What part does she chew? The metal tube?

May 5, 2011, 11:17 AM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    The metal bit and its super loud
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 5, 2011, 11:21 AM

Is it because of the hamster's teeth are chewing on the metal, or because the bottle is rattling against the cage bars?

Do you give the hamster stuff to chew on, like empty toilet paper rolls and empty Jello boxes? I'm guessing she's bored and has developed this bad habit. Is she just in a square cage with no amusements?

May 5, 2011, 11:27 AM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    Her cage is plastic and she has loads of chew toys which she takes not really any notice of and it bangs against the plastic
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 5, 2011, 11:52 AM

Is there a different way to secure the bottle to the cage so they don't rattle against each other? We had to do that with one of our hamsters -- figure out a way to secure the bottle so the hamster could still easily get water but have it be safe plus keep the bottle tight against the bars.

Be sure she gets lots of exercise. One of those plastic exercise balls that she can roll around on the floor with might be good, or set up a hamster habitat with tunnels in order to wear her out and also amuse her.
    lolo011 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2011, 10:26 PM
    Im having the same problem & my hamster stays in a tank. She has always had a wheel, chew sticks, & a toiletpaper roll in her tank & she stillllllll bites on the metal part of that water bottle. Both that & the fact that it bangs against the glass tank is what's noisy. & I take her our morrrrre than once a night for 25-30 minutes each time. I let her walk around on my bed & roll in her ball. & when I change he cage she walks around in my empty bathtub with her chew sticks in there. *** IS HER PROBLEM?! She gets plentttty of exercise & chew stuff.
    abinatasha Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2013, 01:00 PM
    My hamster chews on her bars she hasn't recently but sometimes and she is always chewing on her metal bit of her waterbottle she also has chewy carrots and a chewy roast chicken wodden thing
    abinatasha Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2013, 01:04 PM
    I love having my hamster (ebony) in my room but she keeps me awake and its so annoying so I keep her in the back room with my sisters bird (not in the same cage obviously) but when I try to play with her and go in the back room she just starts chewing on the wayer bottle

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The water dispenser on my GE refrigerator keeps sticking, water runs constantly [ 2 Answers ]

The water dispenser on my GE refrigerator keeps sticking, water runs constantly. We had to just shut off the water any idea what it could be?

Hot water heater constantly drains water [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, my Rheem hot water heater is about 10 years old and works fine. However, I have noticed it is consistently dripping water into my sump pump. Seems to come out from the cold water inlet pipe. Is this normal or is something wrong; I hate to see my water bill go up. Thanks. jog

Keeping busy that doesn't include a bottle. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I posted a question yesterday but didn't get too much response. (Maybe because of the locations I posted, new to this... sorry, but it is called 'Learning to live 'MY' life') I am looking for things to do that don't involve bar tabs and hangovers. Any ideas? I am newly single and need...

View more questions Search