Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Steamrising Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2011, 10:38 AM
    Coworkers are trying to get me fired. What should I do?
    Yesterday, it was brought to my attention by a superior that he suspects some of my supervisors of conspiring to get me fired. He told me that it seems other employees are playing games with money to make it look like my cash drawer is short in order to get me fired. Apparently, my drawer continues to be short, but then a few shifts later, the money "magically" reappears. This gives them enough time to fill out paperwork against me without actually losing the money. He also told me he overheard a conversation between three employees a few days prior that involved me, and he reprimanded the individuals for speaking that way. Of course, this whole conversation was "off the record" because he isn't really supposed to be telling me anything like this, but he said he considered me a friend and wanted to warn me to watch my back. He didn't tell me what these coworkers said, or who they were, but he knows that I have an idea of who he is talking about. He also told me that if he knew exactly who was messing with the money, he would fire them.

The problem is, he is getting demoted and moved to a different location, so I fear that this situation will not be resolved and will end in my firing for something I didn't do. I have worked for this company for a total of six years now. (I left for a few years and then returned last September.) I am the oldest out of my coworkers and don't play into their "cliques" that they have seemed to form. At this point, I don't know what I have for options. Besides that fact that this behavior is immoral, is it illegal?. and if it is illegal, this conversation I had with my superior was completely off the record and he told me he would deny ever saying it. His suggestion is just to "watch my back," but I feel something else needs to be done, I just don't know what.

Can anyone give me any advice?
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2011, 11:00 AM

There's no great solution to this situation because you are dealing with unethical people.

I recommend you go to the supervisors and tell them the following:

"I heard a disturbing rumor that colleagues have been messing with my drawer. I have not seen it happen and do not know if it is true, and do not want to accuse anyone of anything. At the same time, I love my job and don't want anyone messing with my reputation or job security here. I am wondering if you know anything about this, and in any event, if you can put a camera on my work area? I don't want anyone stealing from the business, and I certainly don't want anyone creating the appearance that I would steal."

If they accuse you of anything, offer to take a lie detector test.

And in the interim, start looking for another job -these things often end badly, unfortunately.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Coworkers are trying to get me fired. Should I tell my boss or ignore the situation? [ 9 Answers ]

I've been at the company for seven years now. I work with four other people, one has been with the company for five years and the other two are young (first job out of college) and have been with the company under two years. I have a different title; different job duties, more education, more...

Can you be fired for having chron's disease? I am afraid I am going to be fired, [ 4 Answers ]

I have worked for a company for 18 years. I was diagnosed with Chron's Disease 5 years ago and sometimes I get really sick and have to be hospitilized and now they think I should be fired and it really gets me. Is that lawful?? :mad:

Not fired, then fired, after boss was beat [ 6 Answers ]

I was called in the office and confronted about time differences on the time sheet. I had to wait for a customer to get home that morning, (30 min.). I called the office and informed them. So I added 15 extra minutes to my time. I was told that I couldn't do that. I asked was I being fired for it...

View more questions Search