Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelfan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2011, 09:19 AM
    How old does a child have to be to choose what parent they want to live with?
    My stepdaughter is about to turn 11 years old, and she seems to be having some problems with her mother. She claims that she doesn't take care of her and that she never really has. She mentioned that her mother is always claiming that she is at work or at school, and on her days off she makes plans with her friends and boyfriend instead of making time for her daughter. Her mother is constantly yelling at my stepdaughter if me and my husband take care of everyday things for her, because she claims that these are her responsibility not ours. She has sometimes called me and yelled at me about buying her daughter shampoo/conditioner and tells me to stop trying to take her place. My stepdaughter explains that she told her about it a long time ago, and she didn't take care of it, so she told her dad. She is a petty person, and is constantly using this child as leverage. Her mother's house is a violent home also. Her grandparents are both heavy drinkers and are always fighting. When things get loud enough my stepdaughter's mom will join in the fighting to "shut them up”, but only makes things worst. My stepdaughter said that once it got so bad that she locked herself in the restroom and cried. She then shared that her mother almost knocked down the bathroom door and told her to get out, and to stop being so dramatic, and to "suck it up". Too late to make this story short, but all in all my stepdaughter has expressed to us that she wants to live with us forever, and not with her mom. What would be the easiest way to go about this, without it being too dramatic for the child? Any suggestions would be helpful.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 5, 2011, 10:34 AM

18 years of age, usually. Depends on the state.

A minor doesn't get to choose, in other words.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

At what age in CA can a child choose to live with a parent [ 2 Answers ]

My children are 15 and 16... they live with me as the custodial parent. After 10 years of divorce, I still have issues with their dad about the vacation schedule. The girls want to go with me to Hawaii. He refuses to let them go. Can they.

When can a child choose what parent to live with. [ 3 Answers ]

At what age can a child choice where and what parent they want to live with

At what age can a child choose which parent they live with [ 4 Answers ]

At what age can a child who's parents have separated choose which parent they live with?

Legal age a child can choose which parent to live with [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , I'm a father in Illinois in need of help . My son lives in Minnesota and will be 16 in June. Me and his mother divorced 8 years ago and since have both remarried. During his time in Minnesota he has been in some trouble but nothing involving the police. He has matured a great deal in the last...

Age A child can choose which parent to live with [ 3 Answers ]

I have a daughter who lives in Michigan and stayed there when my husband and I moved to Arizona. She is now calling every night crying that she wants to move back in with us but her other parent will not allow it. How is it that a child's voice can not be heard. I am completely blown away that a...

View more questions Search