Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Coreydean87 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 05:07 PM
    No-Fault accident do I pay?
    I had just recently gotten my car and had not put insurance on it. I was driving it in the rain one night and came over a hill where a car was parked facing me in my lane on the road. I tried to stop but I slid into the car and damaged the door and fender on it. The police were called and I got a ticket for not having insurance.(of course) to my knowledge no other tickets were isued and I was not informed that I was at fault because of the weather conditions. The other party's insurance called once and got more info. But never have again. The person has called a couple of times claiming he doesn't want to go to court or file with his insurance. He wants me to just pay for his car. I have a funny feeling because the estimates he has seem very high and he DOES NOT seem to want to take this to court. I am only 19 I think he may be trying to play me out of money. Am I even responsible for his car if it was a no fault accident? What should I do?
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

Mar 1, 2007, 08:06 AM
    Well, driving without insurance is a damn stupid thing to do - don't do it again!
    I'm afraid you are liable because it is not a "no fault" accident.

Unless the car you hit was parked somewhere it absolutely should not have been, then you are responsible for the damages. I strongly recommend that you pay the driver as soon as possible because if he is insured (perhaps he isn't, but he could still take you to a Small Claims Court) then the insurance company will bill you not only for the repairs to the car, but also for court costs and legal expenses.

I suggest that you make an offer to get the fender and door fixed at a garage of your choice - you can get a quote from any garage, although they may want to see the car.

He is probably asking for more money than the actual cost of the repair - so get your to a garage and ask them how much it will really cost!

I don't know how old his car is or what value it is, but a fender is often cheaper to replace with a used part than to repair.

Make sure that you get a copy of the receipt for the work done - this will be your legal proof that you did indeed pay for the repairs to his car in the event of him pursuing the claim twice.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2007, 10:08 AM
    Hello Corey:

I too, think you're at fault and you're going to have to pay.

The guy can take his car to any shop he wishes for the repairs. He has NO obligation to make it easy on you.

But, he can't screw you either. Ask him to get THREE estimates and send you copies. Call one of the shops if you doubt him. You're legally obligated to pay the LEAST expensive estimate.

excon
    Lord_Darkclaw Posts: 295, Reputation: 38

Mar 1, 2007, 11:56 AM
    Jan 26... :D

Maybe this one is a bit out of date!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this accident my fault? [ 11 Answers ]

OK so I was making a left hand turn and I was suppose to yeld but I didn't see this car and she cliped my back bumper is it still my falt if it was that back of the car oo and it was ice outside so she couldn't stop and that's why she hit me. :confused: :(

Help with Daughters No fault accident.. Advice? [ 6 Answers ]

:( At 12 midnight in Dec of 2004 in RTP in North Carolina, my daughter was driving my truck which collided with another car at a traffic light controlled intersection. The driver of the other car was injured, she was not. She has stated that the light was green and she struck the vehicle...

Not at fault for car accident, do they pay? [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, this is pretty long and confusing but I'm hoping someone will know. I was just rear ended a few days ago during traffic time. The light was green but we all had to stop. The SUV behind us didn't realize it and ended up slamming into the back of our car. She admitted fault and kept telling us...

What Happens If Its My Fault In An Auto Accident [ 5 Answers ]

Question 1: OK if I don't have auto insurance and I hit someone who is insured and its my fault and the two children in the back seat of her car are injured but not seriously are not the drivers children can I be sued by both parties by the driver and by the parents of the children Question 2: ...

Not At Fault Car Accident, What's Next? [ 2 Answers ]

I was Recently In A Car Accident That was not my Fault The Other Driver Took Responsibility For The Accident, But I Have Yet To Hear From His Insurance Company Which He Has Yet To Inform Me Of. The Police Don't Even Know His Insurance Company Either. He Was A Government Official And Driving A...

View more questions Search