Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zeppelin321 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2011, 09:38 PM
    I've been working with a debt consolidation company, however, one of my creditors has
    I've been working with a highly reputable debt consolidation company and am just about done with the program (payment wise) and one of my creditors is taking my debt to the courts. The law firm representing the creditor filed a complaint and I filed an answer admitting to the debt. My debt consolidation company is in negotiations with the creditor and I thought would settle soon as I have the funds to do so, however, I just received a Notice of Motion and Motion for Judgment on the Pleadings and order, with a date of June 9th from the law firm. I'm not sure if I'm required to show up that day in court as it is not a summons from the court. At this point, the debt consolidation company has settled with my other 2 creditors and I thought would be settling with this one too. I'm not sure what to do next as I don't want a judgment on my record or to go to court. I want to be done with this program and put it behind me. Please provide any advice you can. Thank you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 5, 2011, 03:50 AM

Talk to the consolidation company. If they really filed in court, then you can't ignore it. So you have to make sure of what they really sent you.
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2011, 04:45 PM
    Your creditor is under no obligation to work with the debt consolidation company. The only agreement they have to honor is the one that was made when the debt was established. Your debt consolidation company should have disclosed to you that your credtors can decline to work with them and just sue you. I would see if there is legal aid or a local law clinic available to tell you exactly what you received and how you should respond but the bottom line is this: You admitted to owing the debt and they can sue you as long as they are within the statute of limitations in your state.

Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 9, 2011, 06:40 PM

First a lender is under no obligation to work with a consolidation company, and some of the companies get you into worst shape than when you began before you know that they are not paying properly or use the money you pay them, to pay theirself first.

Groups like CCC are one of the few better groups.

With that said, you need to be in court on that day, or have worked out a deal yourself with them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DEBT! What should I do debt consolidation,debt settlement bankruptcy (kind of long) [ 8 Answers ]

Hello to everyone :) I've been reding on here and seen the great questions asked and answered, and thought I'd ask a few questions. Ok so here is my situation, I have total about 35k worth the credit card debt (3 cards, amex 20k, visa 5k and another visa 10K), a 12k car loan and a house in WA....

To use or not to use a debt consolidation company? [ 4 Answers ]

I am about a year and a half out of college and, unfortunately, made some bad financial choices while in school and just after school. Luckily, I do not have any student loans, but my total debt is approximately $11,300.00 (I know, I know... ). I moved from NC to Chicago where, obviously, the cost...

?Best Debt Consolidation Company? [ 2 Answers ]

Good Afternoon! I am a 31 year old Social Worker, who is struggling to make my credit card payments. I have about 25,000 in debt. Some of it is my college as I was unable to receive any financial assistance. The rest of the debt is just from everyday living. As a social worker I have a very low...

View more questions Search